Opinions On B.f.f. Play

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen these but they look like very decent food! Finally something new without fish, potato, carrageenan, or menadione. I'm not sure about the coconut oil in the pouches but there are lots of canned foods that don't have it! (I didn't check all the ingredient lists...)

The chicken foods have pretty low phosphorus, too, which you're looking for, aren't you?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BFF / Weruva have quite a few new lines out. There might not be too many people, if any, here on TCS who have tried any of the new foods yet. The food may still be slowly getting into stores.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
I bought a can a couple weeks ago, but keep forgetting to feed it. I'll try it with my senior gal (the pate lover) as soon as I get back to her (probably end of the week)

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like Weruva but I steer clear of BFF. My cat eats a "lower" sodium diet (which is higher than what vets consider "low" sodium) and I have found that BFF are among the highest sodium of all Weruva products. There is not a single BFF that meets our limit. But as long as your cat is not a cardiac patient, it shouldn't be a problem.

And a big thank you to Weruva for sharing so much nutrition info, they provide the most comprehensive info in the industry as far as I can tell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like Weruva but I steer clear of BFF. My cat eats a "lower" sodium diet (which is higher than what vets consider "low" sodium) and I have found that BFF are among the highest sodium of all Weruva products. There is not a single BFF that meets our limit. But as long as your cat is not a cardiac patient, it shouldn't be a problem.

And a big thank you to Weruva for sharing so much nutrition info, they provide the most comprehensive info in the industry as far as I can tell.
She has pancreatitis and anemia. I did note on the back it says "reduced iron" though :/

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought a can a couple weeks ago, but keep forgetting to feed it. I'll try it with my senior gal (the pate lover) as soon as I get back to her (probably end of the week)
Let me know how she likes it! :)

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's Geneva's first taste, and she thoroughly enjoyed it! She ended up cleaning the bowl--Half a small can is actually a huge deal for her to finish.
So yep, we'll be buying more for sure!
PS sorry it's so dark ugh #notaprofessional ;)

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just bought some B.F.F. today too and got the same reaction! Both of mine hoovered it down and kind of obsessively licked their bowls for a while like they were trying to get that last taste. They NEVER do that! I was trying this over some Sheba I bought earlier this week because Reese won't do anything with the stuff but lick the gravy off.
My question about the B.F.F. line though...I can't figure out why it isn't rated very high on catfooddb? Can someone enlighten me?

Last edited:

joyfulrose

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just bought some B.F.F. today too and got the same reaction! Both of mine hoovered it down and kind of obsessively licked their bowls for a while like they were trying to get that last taste. They NEVER do that! I was trying this over some Sheba I bought earlier this week because Reese won't do anything with the stuff but lick the gravy off.
My question about the B.F.F. line though...I can't figure out why it isn't rated very high on catfooddb? Can someone enlighten me?
I was actually wondering the same! Does anyone know why it's not rated higher?? I also remembered reading something about B.F.F. having a huge recall because lots of cats were getting sick and died so I was a little bit scared to feed it to my cats ... but I went ahead and picked up a few cans just to try out (all the flavors without fish or tuna) My cats reallly loved the turkey chicken & duck one and the chicken and lamb one.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
CatFoodDB - bff (Best Feline Friend) Cat Food Reviews
From what I can tell (I've not become smart enough yet to fully understand nutrition breakdowns) there's soooo many flavors of it (68 currently on catfooddb), and quite a few have a LOT of pawprints (ie: high rating), and quite a few are lower rated.. So maybe it seems kinda low overall due to how it averages out because of the lower scoring ones? One could just stick to the specific flavors with higher ratings, if one were so inclined.
Also I think I have heard it's a bit high in sodium.
All I know is that it's not comple garbage, I trust the company moreso than a lot of others, and I'm not having to throw away any leftovers in dishes--So I'm gonna keep buying it for our kitty family. :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest, I very often find the ratings a little odd on that site! And m3rma1d m3rma1d is right about "there's soooo many flavors." I looked and didn't find any of the PLAY foods, which are new and don't contain any of the ingredients I always reject: carrageenan, peas, potato, and (most of the time, other than for a weekly Fancy Feast can) menadione.

We still feed about a can of Weruva a week, despite the recalls (which weren't for US products but even so...), and I'm definitely willing to give the new foods a try.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Ugh apparently I wrote "comple" in my last post, I meant "complete".. but too late to edit it. :p

Yeah the only recall was in a batch in Australia, I think spring of 2017. I'm not trying to say that wasn't a huge deal to anyone down under who had a sick kitty, but I'm definitely confident in the brand as a whole.