Opinions Needed - Fvrcp Vaccine For Kittens

lunaart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! :)

We will going to pickup two Siamese kittens who are litter mates from a breeder at the end of December and then fly them back home in-cabin with us. Very excited!

They had their first FVRCP vaccine at 6 1/2 weeks and a second one at 9 1/2 weeks old. They will be 13 weeks + 2 days old when we go pick them up. Our breeder gave us the option of giving them a third FVRCP vaccine on the day of the pick up. I think they started the vaccines so young because they "super-socialize" their kittens by taking them on long car rides, taking them to visit other people, bring them along to attend their kid's sporting events, etc.

Almost everything I have read is that kittens should start getting their FVRCP shots at 6-8 weeks old and every 3-4 weeks after until they are over 16-18 weeks old. So it would make the most sense for them to have another booster at 13 weeks and then we can get their final booster at our vet at 17 1/2 weeks old. It also seems like the most important shots are around the 12 week and 16 week marks since by then that's when most kitten's maternal antibodies are gone and will no longer interfere with the vaccines.

Then I read on catinfo.org that these vaccines can cause a lot of inflammation, especially to the kidneys. She recommends giving kittens only 2 shots total for their series. I feel like I'm a obligated to give my new kittens a total of 4 shots since they started vaccinating them at such a young age.

These new kittens will be indoor cats only. Once they enter adulthood, I do plan on limiting their vaccines somewhat due to the growing evidence that we are vaccinating our cats too much.

I think I will have the breeder give them their 3rd shot at pick-up. I was wondering what other people's opinions are on this? Or, if your kittens got 4 FVRCP shots - how did it turn out? Any issues with that many shots? I also plan on talking with my vet about this issue before proceeding.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'd talk with your vet, and i think Dr Pierson certainly knows what she is talking about :).

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did 3 FVRCP vaccines for my own cat when he was a kitten years ago. His first vaccine was done early, like yours. I was told at the time that breastfeeding can and does interfere with the booster's effectiveness on the kitten's immune system. Your vet will probably want to look at the timing of the first two boosters to decide if a 3rd is needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunaart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your comments. :heartshape:

I talked with my vet a little while ago. She said that the kittens probably did get some protection from the second booster, but thought it would be wise to have the 3rd booster shot to make sure.

She did suggest that the kittens get their booster shot 5-7 days before our airplane flight instead of on the day of pick-up due to a possible reaction + the combo of the stress of traveling. Unfortunately, we get to pick 2 out 4 total kittens, so we won't know exactly which kittens we are bringing home (although, I suspect I know which ones we'll end up picking ;)). So we set up a wellness check appointment the day after we get home and we'll have it done then.

I tend to agree that cats are over vaccinated, but I just didn't want to take a chance with small kittens. Thank you for the links you provided jcat - they helped a lot! I just wish the timing had been different so I only had to give 3 fvrcp shots total while they were kittens.:(

Since they will be indoor cats only, I will not be getting any non-core vaccinations and will try to limit the core vaccinations as much as possible in the future by using 3-year non-adjuvanted vaccines, titer tests to see if they even need the vaccine, etc.

We are so excited and looking forward to getting our new kittens, but this has been a stressful time for me also. I like that I am tons more educated about cat care than I was with our last kittens 15 years ago, but in knowing more, the more I worry about all the things that can happen to them. I'm sure my anxiety has a lot to do with illnesses/deaths of my last much beloved cats (see my avatar:rbheart:) early this past year. I'm sure once we get the kittens all settled in our home, I will become more at peace.