Opinions Needed: Anyone Who Fosters Or Is Involved In Rescue!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! We are wanting to make up a "foster manual" of sorts... A binder to give to each of our foster homes to help with simple things and also help express important things such as quarantine. Also it will have things like our vet info, emergency contact numbers, and crashing kitten protocol.
If you foster, what sorts of things would you find helpful to have on hand in a book like this?
If you run a rescue, do you have a manual/book like this? What sort of things do you have in it?
We have been having some issues with our fosters not following directions... with quarantine... worming kittens, etc. We don't want to feel like we are hovering, but so many people don't listen or don't understand the importance of it and it is very frustrating... We wanted to get together and come up with a little class... but I don't want it to be an awful thing and scare fosters away...
Would love opinions on this! I know a lot of you foster on here!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
people don't listen or don't understand the importance of it
I'm not one, but I've wondered how Rescues deal with the issue. I know I definitely would want a guidebook to take home with me :)

I just want to applaud you for taking the initiative!! :cloud9:

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I volunteer for a rescue organisation and I just finished editing the latest version of the foster carer's manual. I can share with you the index so you can see what we give guidance on:

The Fostering Process
Caring for your foster cat (Collection, Nutrition, Worming, flea control, Bedding & Litter Tray, Settling in)
Short Term Fostering
Long Term Fostering
Vet Visits & Treatments
Delayed Desexing
Not Getting Too Attached
Costs
Emergencies
The Adoption Process (Questions for Potential New owners Payment, Adoption Paperwork, Post Adoption, Website update, Post Adoption Paperwork, Money)
Terms & Conditions – Volunteer Copy
Appendix A - Commonly Asked Questions
Appendix B – Common Cat Illnesses
Appendix C – Orphaned Young Kittens (Bedding and Litter Tray, Bottle Feeding and food, Weaning, Toilet Training, Illnesses, Treatments)