Opinions from people who made outdoor cats indoor

binky121912

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi looking for people who took in a stray and made it indoor only?

The reason I ask from people who only done this, is that it helps me better.

I'd like your feedback on the problems you had.

Any tips that you may have.

How long it took etc...

Thank you very much,  I can Google etc... but I like to hear think from people who actually have done this.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our first cat was a stray, outdoors.  I was still in college.  Someone had dumped him, apparently.  He was skinny and hungry.  We brought him home, fed him, then put him outdoors as my mother had always done.  When I called him in the morning, he came out from under a car.  He had grease on him (he was mostly white), and burns on his paws.  At that point, I turned to my wife and said, "This cat is going to have to be kept indoors, or he's going to get killed under someone's hood."

He didn't like it, at first.  He complained.  But he was alive, well-fed, and clean, and that assuaged my guilt when he was crying about how mean I was, and how great the outdoors was.  He lived to be about 15, and he complained about not going outdoors, occasionally, until his last few weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

binky121912

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our first cat was a stray, outdoors.  I was still in college.  Someone had dumped him, apparently.  He was skinny and hungry.  We brought him home, fed him, then put him outdoors as my mother had always done.  When I called him in the morning, he came out from under a car.  He had grease on him (he was mostly white), and burns on his paws.  At that point, I turned to my wife and said, "This cat is going to have to be kept indoors, or he's going to get killed under someone's hood."

He didn't like it, at first.  He complained.  But he was alive, well-fed, and clean, and that assuaged my guilt when he was crying about how mean I was, and how great the outdoors was.  He lived to be about 15, and he complained about not going outdoors, occasionally, until his last few weeks.

I have to be more aggressive, and say "NO", but I say "come here" then I talk to him like a baby. The Vet said as soon as I get him neutered he wont be so persistent. So I'll just hold my ground.

kittymom88

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have 4 cats who were outdoors who we brought in. No issues whatsoever with any of them! 

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to be more aggressive, and say "NO", but I say "come here" then I talk to him like a baby. The Vet said as soon as I get him neutered he wont be so persistent. So I'll just hold my ground.
Getting him nuetered could make a huge difference in his wanting to get out! Without all the hormones he won't be so desperate to go out and find a lady. I would nueter him asap to make things easier on you and him.

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat lived outdoors for the first five months of his life. When we got him he was pretty shy but still would purr if you pet him. He lived under my bed for a month - coming out to eat and to use the litter box, and we could play with him under the bed at first. Then he would start to come out to play with toys and explore at night. Eventually started exploring the rest of the bedroom, and after a month, he started checking out the rest of the house. we just let him take his time and do things at his own pace. We were helped in this in that he was very food motivated so any prospect of a treat usually got him coming out to investigate.

He's never shown any inclination to go outside though he does like to watch the birds etc from his window seat. We make sure he does not get bored by giving him  play time and interaction. He's an only cat though. Some people will have more than one cat and that helps with them being able to play together.

HIs only "problem" is he is shy around all other people except for my husband and I, and will hide when we have visitors. That being said, my mom's cat does the same, and she (the cat) was around humans from as soon as she was born, so I guess that's more indicative of a cat's personality rather than how they were raised to some extent.

I think if you have an outdoor cat, make sure they are fixed, and be sure to play with them every day, and give them lots of love, and they won't miss the outside too much.

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you know it could be the temperature too.

My cat wouldn't eat Nature's Variety raw patties, until I gave him one while it was still frozen. I had put it out as I was heading out and figured he could eat it when it defrosted. He started to lick it like a meat pop and now that is how he likes all his commercial raw food - straight out of the freezer and not defrosted... 

so, maybe try that? Or try the rabbit too.

mine likes the lamb.

binky121912

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Getting him nuetered could make a huge difference in his wanting to get out! Without all the hormones he won't be so desperate to go out and find a lady. I would nueter him asap to make things easier on you and him.
The Vet said that right away, She said  "besides the rabies shot, as soon as you can get him neutered and you'll notice a big difference"

I actually found many free Neutering places, because I'm on disability right now my income is under the level, I just show my statement.

Also they have all shot for only $5.00. So I better get them done very soon.

glenman12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got my oldest (now 5) and he was a stray and estimated to be 6-8 months old by the vet..the only problem I had was him jumping up on the kitchen cabinets, stove and refrigerator..but after a few days of sternly hearing the word "NO" he stopped..other than that no problems..

binky121912

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat lived outdoors for the first five months of his life. When we got him he was pretty shy but still would purr if you pet him. He lived under my bed for a month - coming out to eat and to use the litter box, and we could play with him under the bed at first. Then he would start to come out to play with toys and explore at night. Eventually started exploring the rest of the bedroom, and after a month, he started checking out the rest of the house. we just let him take his time and do things at his own pace. We were helped in this in that he was very food motivated so any prospect of a treat usually got him coming out to investigate.

He's never shown any inclination to go outside though he does like to watch the birds etc from his window seat. We make sure he does not get bored by giving him  play time and interaction. He's an only cat though. Some people will have more than one cat and that helps with them being able to play together.

HIs only "problem" is he is shy around all other people except for my husband and I, and will hide when we have visitors. That being said, my mom's cat does the same, and she (the cat) was around humans from as soon as she was born, so I guess that's more indicative of a cat's personality rather than how they were raised to some extent.

I think if you have an outdoor cat, make sure they are fixed, and be sure to play with them every day, and give them lots of love, and they won't miss the outside too much.
That would have driven me crazy, I would have thought ithad a disease or something crazy, me not knowing anything about pet. But yes the vet said "Get him neutered ASAP and you'll see a big difference" She also said he'll become even more chummy with me, he already is lol, I always play with him until he starts getting  "excited" , so I have to watch.

binky121912

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you know it could be the temperature too.

My cat wouldn't eat Nature's Variety raw patties, until I gave him one while it was still frozen. I had put it out as I was heading out and figured he could eat it when it defrosted. He started to lick it like a meat pop and now that is how he likes all his commercial raw food - straight out of the freezer and not defrosted... 

so, maybe try that? Or try the rabbit too.

mine likes the lamb.
I noticed every single cat has its own thing. I mean like a dog eats everything pretty much, but a cat will eat things you'd never expect. I'm going to experiment, I figure its a good thing to break up the monotony of canned food all the time also.

binky121912

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got my oldest (now 5) and he was a stray and estimated to be 6-8 months old by the vet..the only problem I had was him jumping up on the kitchen cabinets, stove and refrigerator..but after a few days of sternly hearing the word "NO" he stopped..other than that no problems..
Yes I have been using "NO" and pointing at what I'm talking about, Ya know that little weasle of a cat is so sneaky to, he will disappear, then I always say "I'm going to find him this time" I'll shut all the doors to the rooms and  when I get done and go into my bedroom he is laying in my spot ( I lay down a lot back/hip problems) like nothing is wrong with that. and I searched the bedroom first. he knows he is playing with my head, lol

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ah yes. they are masterminds at manipulation.

Like, if I am working on the computer, and Magnus wants me to pay attention to him, he'll come up and start scratching at the back of my chair (which he knows he is not supposed to do. he does not scratch any other furniture in the house EXCEPT the computer chair when he's trying to get my attention). If that does not work, he starts doing cute poses and trying to attract my attention.

By cute poses I mean this:

Because he knows that whenever he rolls over and shows his belly like this my husband and I *have* to get up and rub his belly. It's mandatory! lol.  So then I'll get up out of the chair to pet him and he jumps up and runs off and tries to lead me to the kitchen... to feed him. ha!

Anyway, good luck with your new fella!

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because he knows that whenever he rolls over and shows his belly like this my husband and I *have* to get up and rub his belly. It's mandatory! lol.  So then I'll get up out of the chair to pet him and he jumps up and runs off and tries to lead me to the kitchen... to feed him. ha!

AWW....that IS a cute pose. He knows he's adorable and he's not afraid to use it!

binky121912

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

lol,  How true , omg. sounds so familiar. Binky always puts on the "naive" act. He'll try and get my attention and then pretend that was not his intention at all. lol

He was laying about a foot down from my keyboard (which was on my bed) and I started getting into a movie, and he like to follow the mouse on the PC screen, so I stopped typing and watching the movie, he literally walked up and laid across my keyboard as he watched the screen.  Of course all the little error windows popped up and the pings and error sounds.

He even sat on my head "meowing" with that little "cry howl",when I fell asleep with my bedroom light on. He of course set up his bed spot right next to me,  so  I got up did a few things

and shut off the light and laid back down an he sacked right out like a drunk cat, legs hanging off the side of the bed , body was twisted. it was really funny.

I listen to "Old Time Radio" on the Internet a collection of thousands of radios shows etc... I usually put that on and listen to WWII BBC and it puts me right to sleep, now when I do everything to get ready to go to bed, , I'll shut off the light, TV and then find a radio show.  Binky will stare at the screen and when the program starts he'll get into his sleeping position. I shut off the screen and he is usually in the same spot if I wake up early.

He will not go into or stay in any room I am in, he cries when I'm in the bathroom, he sits on a end table in a bedroom across from the bathroom if I'm in the shower, he'll race me up and down the stairs. he is a crazy cat. I really considered changing his name to crazy cat, lol

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jennie lived outside for at least a year, maybe more. When I rescued her she wanted nothing to do with going outside again. My cats are harness trained and I take them supervised into a little fenced yard. She didn't even want to do that at first. When I opened the door she would run and hide. Then she would come back and sit in the window watching us outside. It took about a year before she would come out with us.

Binky sounds like a lovely normal cat. He likes to be where you are, cats are very sociable that way. I agree that the neutering is a priority. Get that done, and then you both can relax and enjoy many many happy years together.

binky121912

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
aw Binky sounds adorable.
Thank You , I can see what you mean by your kitty wanting attention, I see the fake stretch "come scratch my belly"  thing lol. Thats what I mean they are just so funny, naive ,

and innocent looking.

I just found one of Binky's secret places today, there is a tiny room that use to be steps where you walk up to the attic, well they had the steps removed and there is only a trap door

and you gotta use a step ladder to get into the attic. well the room is just a supply room  now for bathroom  items, paper towels, and some antique treasures. the house was bought new from

the Welsh half of my family. the house was built  in the 1800's sometime and they had a lot of old English/Welsh things they brought in steamer trunks. Well I own it now and all the stuff was left here.

My aunt actually gave away a painting of the Titantic, which was painted before its voyage, ugh, I could be a millionaire, anyhow since the room is connect to my bedroom an he can watch m close he set up his own little bedroom using bathroom rugs etc... has his own window an everything. I guess thats where he goes if he is tired and I'm wide awake, lol

binky121912

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jennie lived outside for at least a year, maybe more. When I rescued her she wanted nothing to do with going outside again. My cats are harness trained and I take them supervised into a little fenced yard. She didn't even want to do that at first. When I opened the door she would run and hide. Then she would come back and sit in the window watching us outside. It took about a year before she would come out with us.

Binky sounds like a lovely normal cat. He likes to be where you are, cats are very sociable that way. I agree that the neutering is a priority. Get that done, and then you both can relax and enjoy many many happy years together.
Good for Jennie , I like saved kitten stories. seems like she loves you a lot. Binky is just a pervert, well according to the Vet , who was female said is basically going through kitty puberty and visited his lady kitty at the cat house on a regular basis, lol. So far I found a place to snip him for $28.00 and $15.00 for pain medicine, but can't it, to much at one time for me.already sold an Xmas present for Food, litter, box, Carrier and Vet. Now i have to raise money to buy The Xmas present a very nice German electric razor my family bought for me, they'd clip off my **** if they knew that lol.

ahh If I only could have ignored Binky or if he would have ran away instead of coming back crying to me. well he is a lot better company, funner and makes me smile when I wake up , with that funny face of his than my  recent girlfriend. lol