Opinions Are Wide-ranging

cluckingduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like to think that I try to keep Artie eating well-balanced and healthy food. The more I read on this and other forums is about as different as day/night! I have read in the last couple of days about a few brands I have never tried, or even heard of. For example, Dr. Elseys. I have heard of his litter products, but is his food brand good? Now, by good, I mean at least 92-95% meat, no stiffeners like agar agar or carageenan, and no carbs or at least significantly low (8-10%)?
I've been feeding Artie Ziwipeak (3 flavors) for a couple of years, and he does well on that, but, since I've lately retired, my pocketbook does not so well with the price of Ziwipeak.
So, I would like to hear about Dr. Elseys, as well as any other brands that are equal to or close to ZP in quality, at a lower price. He likes NV Instinct, and Feline Natural, but I find for the $$$, its not much better than ZP. (kcals vary so one brand might have enough in one can, others may take 2 cans). If you look at ->CAT FOOD - NUTRITIONAL COMPOSITION ... Data compiled by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM
Typical nutrient analysis data provided by the respective companies (Wet only)
You will see that she recommends that canned food should be >40+% protein, <50-% fat and carbs at <10%. Then if you go down the list (and it's tedious) you will see that only about a couple of recipes fit her suggested protocol. ( and no word re Dr. Elseys!).
I won't use purina products, or ANY kibble. It took me a couple of MONTHS to get Artie off kibble!
I used to like Merrick LID but since taken over by Purina several complaints about decreasing quality and outsourced ingredients have been found around the forums. (Friskies in owned by Nestle-Purina).Thanks, and Artie thanks you also!

Last edited:

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also looked into Dr. Elsey’s Clean Protein and wrote them to inquire about the protein-fat-carb ratio. The numbers they provided were:

Dry Matter
Chicken
Protein: 50%
Fat: 39.75
Fiber: 1.92
Ash: 6.25
Carbs: 2.08

Turkey
Protein: 50.46%
Fat: 38.38%
Fiber: 1.79%
Ash: 5.42%
Carbs: 3.96

Beef
Fiber: 1.96
Ash: 3.54
Carbs: 15.71

However, and maybe someone can help make sense of this. They gave me the percent of energy from:

Chicken
Protein: 33.6%
Fat: 65%
Carbs: 1.4%

Turkey
Protein: 34.2%
Fat: 63.1%
Carbs: 2.7%

Beef
Protein: 36.9
Fat: 51.6%

I ultimately didn’t go with Dr. Elsey’s because it has Sodium Selenite and I already have several foods with that in my rotation.

I agree, it’s so overwhelming. Right now I’m trying to decide if I should go raw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cluckingduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also looked into Dr. Elsey’s Clean Protein and wrote them to inquire about the protein-fat-carb ratio. The numbers they provided were:

Dry Matter
Chicken
Fat: 39.75
Fiber: 1.92
Ash: 6.25
Carbs: 2.08

Turkey
Protein: 50.46%
Fat: 38.38%
Fiber: 1.79%
Ash: 5.42%
Carbs: 3.96

Beef
Fiber: 1.96
Ash: 3.54
Carbs: 15.71

However, and maybe someone can help make sense of this. They gave me the percent of energy from:

Chicken
Protein: 33.6%
Fat: 65%
Carbs: 1.4%

Turkey
Protein: 34.2%
Fat: 63.1%
Carbs: 2.7%

Beef
Protein: 36.9
Fat: 51.6%

I ultimately didn’t go with Dr. Elsey’s because it has Sodium Selenite and I already have several foods with that in my rotation.

I agree, it’s so overwhelming. Right now I’m trying to decide if I should go raw.
Look up his site, both chicken and turkey have agar-agar.

Georgia on my Mind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep, and I'm pretty sure I have a food that has that in my rotation too. For what's it worth (not much) I responded back that I would think a vet would want to include natural, species appropriate ingredients without anything questionable. The person said they would pass it along.:sigh:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont feed the wet, because of the agar-agar. I do feed the chicken dry formula, and the cats do well on it and love it. But if you wont feed dry that doesn't help.

With wet foods i feed a lot of Weruva, and Tiki cat after dark, as well as some of the Fussie cat super premium, and Against the grain. for Fish we normally go with Earthborn Catalina catch.