Opinion On Nature's Variety Indoor Formula (or Maybe High Protein?)

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Slowly transitioning to mostly moist food (yay!) but I still need to use kibble because of my crappy work schedule. I was shopping around when I found this. I do feed the raw boost kibble, but I did not know they had an indoor formula. Its lower in fats. Or should I go with the high protein because, you know, protein?

Each cat currently gets 1 5.5oz can a day, and I put 1 cup of dry out for them to nibble on.

Indoor Forumla:

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Salmon Meal, Peas, Menhaden Fish Meal, Tapioca, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Freeze Dried Chicken, Dried Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Freeze Dried Chicken Liver, Fructooligosaccharides, Pumpkinseeds, Dried Chicory Root, Montmorillonite Clay, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin), Freeze Dried Chicken Heart, Salt, Carrots, Apples, Cranberries, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), DL-Methionine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Taurine, Dried Kelp, Salmon Oil, Blueberries, Dried Bacillus coagulans Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract

CRUDE PROTEIN 37.5% min
CRUDE FAT 13.0% min
CRUDE FIBER 5.0% max
MOISTURE 9.0% max
ZINC 120 mg/kg min
VITAMIN E 400 IU/kg min
ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C) 150 mg/kg min
OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS 0.5% min
OMEGA 6 FATTY ACIDS 2.5% min
BACILLUS COAGULANTS 60,000,000 CFU/lb min

Ultimate Protein Formula:

Chicken, Tapioca, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Ground Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Whey Protein Concentrate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin), Montmorillonite Clay, Choline Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Taurine, Freeze Dried Chicken, Freeze Dried Chicken Liver, Pumpkinseeds, Freeze Dried Chicken Heart, Dried Bacillus coagulans Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract

CRUDE PROTEIN 47.0% min
CRUDE FAT 17.0% min
CRUDE FIBER 3.0% max
MOISTURE 10.0% max
VITAMIN E 100 IU/kg min
TAURINE 0.15% min
ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C) 85 mg/kg min
OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS 0.35% min
OMEGA 6 FATTY ACIDS 2.5% min

Original Raw Boost (What I feed now):

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Peas, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Tapioca, Freeze Dried Chicken, Natural Flavor, Dried Tomato Pomace, White Fish Meal (Pacific Whiting, Pacific Sole, Pacific Rockfish), Freeze Dried Chicken Liver, Pumpkinseeds, Salt, Freeze Dried Chicken Heart, Montmorillonite Clay, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin), Carrots, Apples, Cranberries, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), DL-Methionine, Taurine, Dried Kelp, Salmon Oil, Blueberries, Dried Bacillus coagulans Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract

CRUDE PROTEIN 43.0% min
CRUDE FAT 20.0% min
CRUDE FIBER 3.5% max
MOISTURE 9.0% max
ZINC 120 mg/kg min
SELENIUM 0.6 mg/kg min
VITAMIN A 18,000 IU/kg min
VITAMIN E 120 IU/kg min
ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C) 100 mg/kg min
OMEGA 3 FATTY ACIDS 0.5% min
OMEGA 6 FATTY ACIDS 3.5% min

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Cats love the regular rawboost nvi. I use it because neither of my cats have weight issues and neither of my cats have furball issues. That’s gonna be the main difference with “indoor” foods. So I’d just go with the regular if your cats don’t have those issues because to make the food lower in fat and higher in fiber they have to take meat out of the equation. If you want to feed the ultimate protein go ahead as that’s good too. I would still get the raw boost to mix though as i like the freeze dried prices and so do my cats. Or you can buy those big bags of mixers and put that into the ultimate protein as well.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd rather feed the ultimate protein because the alfalfa in the indoor just kills it for me. It's soybean hay. You give it to young and nursing guinea pigs and bunnies. It's not for cats at all. It's a cheap filler. I've seen my cats eat my orchard grass hay...and it comes right back out in their poop, undigested.
I've given the ultimate protein canned and the regular canned instinct chicken to my girls.

maryah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was on free-feeding of dry cheap stuff when I got her in February so I transitioned her over to scheduled feedings of NVI Ultimate Protein. Now, she has one 5.5 oz can of high protein canned food during the day, and a small amount - around 1/8 cup - of the UP at night. This adds up to around 200 calories per day, and she's doing great. Just remember that the UP is high calorie, so they need much less of it than they would of lower-calorie dry foods.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed them the raw boost because they like the freeze dried pieces and i thoight it was more cost effective but maybe not. I would rather feed the ultimate protein and mix in the raw boosters. I think it has less filler ingredients