Opening doors

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats, in his old age, has discovered how to open doors. First, it was opening the air fryer. Now, I've caught him opening cabinet doors in the kitchen, opening the door to the upstairs pipe chase (he could get into the stud space or fall under the house), and even trying to open the fuse box.

I've seen magnetically-operated childproof door latches. Do these things use just any powerful magnet, and how thick of a door will they work through? Seems these might be what I need. Anybody have any experience with them?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't help much with the magnetic locks, but I was wondering if your cat has some 'hiding spots' to use - perhaps he is trying to find some quiet places to rest? I will use cardboard boxes (from deliveries) for Feeby, even large paper bags, and she will 'hide away' in those when she wants some serious 'down time'. I can toss them and get her new ones once she tires of the 'older' ones.

I tried doing a search on this site for the kind of latches you mention but all the related posts were over 10 years old!

Here is just one of many magnetic door latches on Amazon - this one in particular states it will work on 2" thick doors, so I am sure there are more similar products to search through if you are looking specifically for US made.
Amazon.com : Child Safety Magnetic Cabinet Locks - vmaisi 4 Pack Adhesive Baby Proofing Cabinets & Drawers Latches : Baby

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably the old fashioned hook and loop latches will work for some doors. I have some double doors that I just put a heavy duty rubber band around the knobs and that works great. If Lola gets it open it just pops back closed.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought some child proof in my kitchen stovefor when my cat leans over and turns the knob. There are also ones for doors. I bought them at target in the baby section. They are hard to open