Open Wound/sore And Hair Thinning With Scabs

A CatNamedFred

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20190818_014259.jpg this is my little guy Fred. Recently I noticed he had a small sore/wound on the side of his face that didn't look like much to worry about. It was small enough that I thought it would heal on its own. The sore/wound has only gotten bigger each day I believe self inflicted. It's now become crater-like and hasn't seemed to start healing at all. He had ear mites when we first rescued him as a stray but he was taken to a vet and got him as healthy as could be. There's no debris in his ear that I can see so I don't think it's recurring mites although I could be wrong. His hair is also thinning above his eye and the skin you can see very clearly has a few minor scabs scattered in the area. If anyone could help in anyway it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with @MissClouseau

"I'm sorry Fred is going through this! I think this has reached a vet visit is necessary level both for an exam and to get an antiseptic something.

Stronghold (USA name Revolution) takes care of both fleas and ear mites. At the vet clinic the vet can also clean inside the ears and exam.

If you can't take him to the vet today maybe you can send a picture and ask them which antiseptic would be OK to use there so it won't get infection (even more.)"

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would start by going to the vet to make sure there is no infection. If Fred needs an antibiotic or fungal ointment to help it heal, you'll need to get it from the vet to make sure you get the right one.
Does he scratch at his head/ears a lot? His ears could still be bothering him in some way due to an allergy or something and he is just continuously scratching at the area.
If you could post more pictures of him from the front and top of his head I could be more conclusive with my next statement, but thin fur above the eye area, where you can actually see skin, is quite normal for cats. I've had my fare share of cats with thin fur in those areas. Not to say that it might not be a bit more noticeable due to the scratching and scabs, but it is very common.
If it's scratching that is causing this, you may need to cone him to prevent him from re-opening the scabs until it heals. As cuts and scraps heal, they can itch so it could be that it's just a self inflicted scrape, that he won't leave alone to heal.

But regardless, he needs the vet. Even if it's just him scratching, you need to find out why he's itchy.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with @MissClouseau

"I'm sorry Fred is going through this! I think this has reached a vet visit is necessary level both for an exam and to get an antiseptic something.
I agree 100% with the above members. The wounded area has worsened and requires medical attention by a vet. In addition, the area above his eye has become affected which means something is brewing. Best of luck to Fred and please keep us posted on his progress. :sickcat: