Open Spay Wound? Need To See Vet Again?

Eatingiceman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I recently adopted my very first kitty, she's adapted to the house hold perfectly, eating well and very playful. She's had some issues with diareah since I got her, but we are currently working on it. I'm writing here today because of an issue with her spay incision possibly being infected and open. I went to the vet because her stitches had a lot of brown and yellow puss coming from underneath them. He removed the stitches to reveal the wound still being open and draining into the area under the stitches. He told me that the wound was fine and advised me to wash it twice a day with peroxide. After this I had a hard time believing what he was saying. I bought betadine and have been washing it with a dilution of it. My question is does this look like she needs to go back to the vet? Does it appare infected or in need to be reclosed? Ive never spayed a cat before and have no idea what is normal or abnormal in the healing process. Thank you for your help.
20190127_220200.jpg
20190127_220200.jpg

Attachments

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd get a second opinion. I'm no expert, but I don't like the look of that wound. Does it seem to pain her at all?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eatingiceman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd get a second opinion. I'm no expert, but I don't like the look of that wound. Does it seem to pain her at all?
If she is in pain it's very hard to tell if she is. She eats normally and is very playful, I don't know her personality enough to know if she's acting out of the ordinary:/

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats are so good at hiding it, too...

It certainly wouldn't hurt to take her again. I could be wrong, but it looks inflamed to me. I find it a little odd they didn't prescribe any antibiotics.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long ago was she spayed? When did she go to the vet to have the stitches removed?

To me (and I'm not a vet but I have had a lot of cats spayed), it looks like the incision is healed, but the skin around it reacted to the stitches. Usually that clears up within a few days of removing the stitches. If it has been more than a few days I think the vet should take another look.

Eatingiceman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there any discharge (eg. blood) coming out of the wound?
Not after the initial removal of the stitches, seems to have dried into a scab over the wound. It's dry now

Eatingiceman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long ago was she spayed? When did she go to the vet to have the stitches removed?

To me (and I'm not a vet but I have had a lot of cats spayed), it looks like the incision is healed, but the skin around it reacted to the stitches. Usually that clears up within a few days of removing the stitches. If it has been more than a few days I think the vet should take another look.
She had her stitches removed yesterday, the wound continued to drain for a short period and then dried up to something the resembles a scab but nothing like a human scab. You may be right as the area where her stitches were was very swollen and raised the first day but her wound wasn't. The swelling has gone down a lot today but the redness isn't gone yet. My main concern is whether the actual incision is open or healed.

Eatingiceman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I can get another better photo if it will help tell if it's the stitches or wound is an issue

Eatingiceman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A better photo of her wound

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well to me it doesn’t look worrisome.. but I haven’t seen a lot of incisions so far. Can you maybe send the picture to the vet to confirm?

Eatingiceman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well to me it doesn’t look worrisome.. but I haven’t seen a lot of incisions so far. Can you maybe send the picture to the vet to confirm?
I plan on doing that tomorrow but from a different vet

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks pretty good to me. Irritation is common when the stitches are left in too long. When was she spayed?

Eatingiceman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks pretty good to me. Irritation is common when the stitches are left in too long. When was she spayed?
The 15th of this month and the stitches where removed exactly 10 days afterwards.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should be all healed then. It looks good to me, but of course keep an eye on it and call the vet if it takes a turn for the worse.

Eatingiceman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update, sent a photo to another vet they confirmed that it should be fine and to let it heal on it's own, thank you all for the comments :)