Ooh...That Terrible Sound

katkuddler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's a sound unlike any other. It's the one that my little ones make when their tails or feet are accidentally stepped on. Do ya-all know that sound?

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know! Then you go after them apologizing and they want nothing to do with you, making you feel even worse!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know! Then you go after them apologizing and they want nothing to do with you, making you feel even worse!

But when they decide to forgive you and come and give you head butts, it's the greatest feeling in the world! It's like the angels and God himself forgives you and things can go back to normal. Ok, maybe a little melodramatic, but you know what I mean. 

I am very familiar with that sound as my kitties seem to have a thing with getting entangled in my legs and feet. I thought they would outgrow that habit as they got older, and they have in a way. Except when I out in the kitchen. No matter the time of day, they have to see if they are going to get fed or get a treat. Usually it's feet that get stepped on here since all but one of my kitties have half tails or no tails. Harley (the only full tail kitty) has learned to watch his tail at all times.

The worst time was when I stepped on LittleOne when she was recovering from a leg infection. I opened up the cupboard the make coffee, but it also happened to be the one we kept her treats in (her reward for taking her antibiotics). I stepped back and she was right behind me. Yep, right on her sore foot/leg. She made a god awful howl and ran (as well as she could) under the couch. I felt SO bad! An hour later DH comes home and I'm a blubbering fool because she just hisses at me when I try to get her out. I told him, "I'm such a terrible mommy, I don't deserve to have pets!"

DH was able to coax her out with treats and a little later I hear a little "meow" and she is at my feet giving my those big eyes. Then she rubbed against me and let me pick her up (which is unusual) and cuddle with her so I knew I was forgiven! Best feeling ever!! 

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  Oh yeah, that half screech half scream, sends
through ya! This happens rarely with Maia, she is very alert, but does love to lay out in my path I think just to test me
. I am just as guilty because when she is laying all belly up in front of me I can't resist doing the foot poke on her adorable belly!

If I do accidentally step on her tail, I chase her down with apologies, and she soaks up the love knowing I didn't mean it......

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yes- I've stepped on many tails and feet of assorted "KittyPets" in our house- so I know that sound well.

In my defense though, I need to explain.  The human's kitchen isn't very big.  There are 3 of you (and two of you are kind of big).  When you hear the wet food can open- all 3 of you HAVE to be right there.  Like I never feed you or anything (and Holly- you have quite the "spay sway" thing going on
)  I can't take care of dishes and food AND make sure that there's no feet or tails in the way. 

I do feel bad about stepping on SneakyPie.  She's been sick lately, she's the smallest and many times seems to be the one who gets stepped on the most.

Cheryl

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that sound too.  Fortunately for Sweetie I don't wear shoes in the house, and don't weigh very much. Another plus is that I accodently step on him only rarely, and fortunately for me Sweetie is always immediately forgiving whenever it does happen.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little lady Oksana is a habitual path blocker. I call her "The Kamikaze Kitty" because I'm 6' 2", & weigh 275lbs and she weighs 6.5 lbs soaking wet. Her other nickname is "David Copperfield" b/c she teleports from one part of the house to right below my feet in the blink of an eye.

It gets especially bad around feeding time, when my hands are full, or when she wants something. I can't wear shoes and I walk around like I'm on a minefield made of cats. Sure enough... The second I think I know where she is... YOWWWL!!! She teleports right below me. I've never gotten her good thank goodness but I pray to God that I never will. She won't wear a collar with a bell on it BTW.

I don't know what to do, you'd think the scares she gets when I graze her would be enough to make her change her behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katkuddler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My little lady Oksana is a habitual path blocker. I call her "The Kamikaze Kitty" because I'm 6' 2", & weigh 275lbs and she weighs 6.5 lbs soaking wet. Her other nickname is "David Copperfield" b/c she teleports from one part of the house to right below my feet in the blink of an eye.
It gets especially bad around feeding time, when my hands are full, or when she wants something. I can't wear shoes and I walk around like I'm on a minefield made of cats. Sure enough... The second I think I know where she is... YOWWWL!!! She teleports right below me. I've never gotten her good thank goodness but I pray to God that I never will. She won't wear a collar with a bell on it BTW.
I don't know what to do, you'd think the scares she gets when I graze her would be enough to make her change her behavior.
I don't think they will ever learn our habits.What gets me is they are so darn quiet. All mine wear bells, and I think they tippytoe around because I just don't hear them. Then you are standing at the counter making something, and a cat has quietly placed themself at your feet. It's like all of a sudden they are there...its almost spooky. And then...there's that sound when the tail or foot is under foot. I've never caught the look on their face, but I can just imagine that it's not a happy one.