Only using the litter box while confined

kirk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took in two 8 week old kittens and I'm having some trouble litter training them. I'm not sure how high or low my expectations should be because litter training Kirk was a breeze. We brought Kirk home at 8 weeks old, showed him the litter box once (which was in the basement and we were always upstairs) and that was that. But Tojo and Penny are a whole other story. If they are confined to a small space (cat cage or exercise pen) they always use the litter box. But even just being out in the bedroom (which is small) they don't use it. Penny pooped on the floor twice and Tojo peed on the bed once and pooped on the floor. So I've had to keep them confined to either their cat cage (4'H x 2'D x 3'L) or their exercise pen (4' x'6'), which I hate. How do I work on this?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So if I am reading it right, Tojo and Penny did their toilet in the bedroom with the litter box accessible to them? Sometimes kittens are so engrossed in their play that they seem to forget to do their business until it is too late. 

However, if this pooping and urinating outside the box happens on a regular basis, you need to bring them to the vet for a check up.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At their age; they are really like toddlers.  I would keep them confined to a small area for a while longer unless you can be with them.  If you see signs they need to go; pick them up and take them.  If the play area you have them in isn't the same as the room you socialize with them in; I would consider another box (even just for while they are learning) that they can get to in that room.  Be sure to show them that it's there too.  A little odor in it can actually help them find it whereas a TOO clean box might not catch their attention.

Good luck!!