Only pressure cooked chicken breast as food for cat!

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two 5 year old brothers - male un desexed- are intollerant to ALL commercial cat foods. their mother is oriental shorthair and father is a no breed. They also have bad and in case of one cat near fatal medicine intolerances. Severe blood pressure, collapse, fevers. It was to flea treatment. They both cant have commercial flea treatments- we have tried many and they are intolerant.
So both of these cats now eat ONLY cooked in a pressure cooker chicken breast. Thats it. NOTHING more.
We used to give them z/d hills prescription biscuits but they became intollerant too!!
Th vets we have gone to said chicken breast has ALL the necessary nutrition and my fiance gives them just that for over 6 months now.
I am really concerned but my partner said as to senior vets said this and these vets saved my cats lives from the incidents with medicines before - he said he wont give them other food.
Cats need calcium! Cats need other nutrients. How can just eat chicken breast?! We rarely give them organs as well as thighs. But week after week it is just chicken breast!!!
Do you know if it safe?
Where will they get their vitamins like vitamin D from?! Chicken doesnt have it.
What about other minerals etc??

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave them egg white i tried it with one cat from memory. What harm cat egg white do? But the cat refused to eat that. My fiance became really angry i did that.
His cat Snowy often complains when we eat and a few times snatched food from our plates. My cat also recently started doing this. He took a small piece of bread and gobbled it up.
From my perspective their constant complaints and stealing from our plates means they are looking for something extra
I warned my fiance over 6 months ago to give them extra nutrition.
We did try i admit giving them other meats- eg veal but they didnt eat it. We also gave them cooked fish- same thing. Kangaroo- same.
They occasionally also try to steal plain Whiskas we feed a stray outside.
We now also give him chicken breast as Whikas isnt that good. So we also add chicken meat for him. But he does get his other nutrients like vitamins and fats from the commerical food we feed him.
However our cats must be missing stuff.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So both of these cats now eat ONLY cooked in a pressure cooker chicken breast. Thats it. NOTHING more.
We used to give them z/d hills prescription biscuits but they became intollerant too!!
Th vets we have gone to said chicken breast has ALL the necessary nutrition and my fiance gives them just that for over 6 months now.

The vet is wrong. Plain meat, whether cooked or raw, does not contain any of the essential vitamins or minerals a cat needs. Your cats are a risk for developing serious nutrional deficiences.

The easiest way to add the essential vitamins and minerals a cat needs using the cooked chicken you are already feeding is to use a premix such as EZComplete or UStew.

Here is additional info on how to make a proper complete balanced home cooked diet: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/264153/home-cooked-cat-food-resources

Please don't feed raw egg whites. Raw egg whites contains a protein (I think) that interfers with the cat's ability to absorb vitamin B . Cooked egg white and egg yolk is fine to give.

Last edited:

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They dont eat raw only cooked including egg whites but we so far inly give them chicken
The vet just called me and confirmed what he recommended.
I asked about butamins and minerals and he said they can eat this diet and not get ill. This of course is not ideal but since they have allergies to so many proteins he said this is the only viable option
Which nutrients do you think they miss?

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He said vitamin d is synthesised by the cat, calcium is enough for them as they are adult, etc
Taurine is found in the chicken.
So is iron
So he said they will be fine
But the need fat and i dont believe chicken has any fats.
If you can direct me where i can see what cats have to have?
I got advice from very experienced vets one of them more than 30 years work.
He told me i am looking from human perspective and cats are carnivorous.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Which nutrients do you think they miss?
Most likely everything, particulary taurine which a cat needs.Daily calcium can be obtained from raw bones or a calcium supplement. I don't think meat has very much if any taurine. Raw heart has a good amount.

Many vets don't know much about nutrition because it's not really taught in vet school
Your vet is correct that cats are carnivores and need meat. But just plain meat with nothing else will not provide a cat with enough ornay of the vitamins and minerals needed.

A home cooked diet is fine with cooked chicken as the protein source. You do need to add in vitamins and minerals to make the food a complete diet and avoid nutritional defiencies. Take a look at these balanced complete recipies: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/263751/cooked-recipes-thread There may be one that you can easily do with supplements found in your local health stores or can buy online.

Are you outside the US? What country are you in?

Last edited:

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Australia

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a few Aussie members here who feed raw and home cooked food. Not sure how often they post, though. Other members may be by at some point over the next day or two to provide additional advice and suggestions for you

I'm sure any of the supplements listed in the Cooked Recipies threads that I provided a link to are available in Australia or you can buy online.

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will be looking for supplements you mentioned and dimilar thanks

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with @LTS3 on all points, including the sad fact that many vets just aren't very informed about cat nutrition. We've gone through this with a vet, too. (We take our new cats to a new vet, who specializes in cats, and it's much better!)

I'm just wondering, @Anni7, if you've tried commercial raw cat foods. One of the foods our cats love is Feline Natural, which is from New Zealand. It's a complete/balanced food but the list of ingredients is short, which lessens the possibilities for food sensitivities. It does, though, contain mussels, so if they have a problem with fish, they might not be able to eat it. Do you know what, exactly, it is that causes your cats to get sick? Our cats are Siamese mixes and also have problems with certain foods so we have to be very careful what we feed them.

Good luck!

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cats get sensitised to proteins ie allergic reactions. Not only one type of proteins but a variety of it. We dont know which they are but we know they are fine with chicken. They suspect that one of the proteins is from corn but we cant tell which other ones. I dont think we can feed them raw because they had raw meat and it made them worse.

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ours are part Oriental, their mother was oriental i dont know if purebred or not. Is there something about Siamese and allergies??

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours are part Oriental, their mother was oriental i dont know if purebred or not. Is there something about Siamese and allergies??
Yes, that's what our vet said when we adopted our two cats: she said Siamese tend to have digestive problems (which are often related to allergies) as well as problems with their teeth. Unfortunately, our cats, who are still young, have proven her right on both those points! They're definitely not pure-bred, either.
Our cats get sensitised to proteins ie allergic reactions. Not only one type of proteins but a variety of it. We dont know which they are but we know they are fine with chicken. They suspect that one of the proteins is from corn but we cant tell which other ones. I dont think we can feed them raw because they had raw meat and it made them worse.
Yes, corn is a common problem.

Was the raw food that you fed to the cats just meat or was it supplemented (perhaps even a commercial raw food?)? I ask because sometimes it's not the protein/meat in a commercial cat food that causes the problem but another type of ingredient, like a thickener (carrageenan, potato starch). I know it can be difficult to figure out what ingredient causes a problem!

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We dont know and cant affort to do more expensive tests. We would if necessary but our vet would tell if it was necessary. The meat was just raw human grade veal. The reaction was diarrhea and lethargy.
We tried many commercial foods too from suprmarket brands to royal canin and hills prescription with the same result.

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The commercial ones werent raw. Its confusing .
Do your cats have reaction to meds as well or just food?
Do they look oriental?
Our are similar to oriental only a little bit
One has a voice meow like Siamese next door- and even louder

anni7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They also bite especially Tabby these cats like to occasionally either play rough or just get cranky at times Snowy can badly scratch if he is not fed on time he will chase you and scratch your ankles

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if this would be helpful, but here are some threads on raw foods and supplements available in Australia:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/252759/raw-feeding-or-barf-in-australia-need-some-food-advice

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/318881/australian-raw-feeders

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/320530/homemade-raw-supplement-check

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/267764/calcium-powder-for-pets

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/313400/raw-meat-mxture

It seems that Australian raw feeders do frankenprey / prey model / BARF type diets instead of commercial raw cat food.

I did find these complete raw diets for cats that are sold in Australia:

http://www.completepet.com.au/shop/category/39-complete-meal-raw-cat-food

http://organicpaws.com.au/product/powerhouse-organ-blend-with-turkey/

Can you feed comerical canned cat food? Here's a thread on Australian brands: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/229827/help-with-australian-cat-food-choices I'm not sure if any limited ingredient type diets are available in Australia but you can post in that thread for help.