Only certain spots

cszutarski

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an appt to take my cat to the vet to check for a UTI. Is it common for male cats to get UTIs? Or only females. My cat started peeing/spraying (not sure) a few months ago. We keep his littter box clean, and I have cleaned numerous spots on the carpet and constantly re-doing laundry because of him. But I've noticed that he prefers only my bedroom and my daughter's bedroom to do his business. Does that mean he is spraying or peeing? Hard to tell what's going on here, and I have never caught him in the act. Please advise.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Urinary tract problems are just as common in males as in females, especially cats fed a dry food diet. Is your cat eating dry kibble? UTIs can become fatal in males, because males will block.

Is he neutered?

I'm glad you are taking him to the vet. I hope it is today you are taking him. UTIs HURT.

Welcome to TCS and please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cszutarski

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is neutered, and yes I do feed him dry cat food. I will introduce wet food to him as well? I was not aware of that. Unfortunately, my vet couldn't see him until Monday. I will try to have him drink more water as well, until we can get in. I'll let you know. Thanks for your help!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please keep a very very close eye on him this weekend.

If you see him running repeatedly to the box, or straining to pee with nothing coming out, lethargy, or crying, any of these signs, get him to a vet, any vet, immediately.

These are signs that he is blocked. Once blocked he will die within 24 hours and it is an agonizing death, the bladder will burst.

Yes, you definitely want to switch him to a canned food diet. Cats are obligate carnivores and need moisture to come from their food. There are lots of threads in the nutrition section on this, and of course, feel free to start your own, you'll get lots of help.

Here is a good website to get you started.

http://catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth

But, for this weekend, just find out who is on call at your vet, or where the local emergency vet is located, and get the phone number, just in case, and watch him like a hawk!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cszutarski

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Otto,

Thank you so much for the help in this matter. There is an animal hospital not located far from where we live. I will call them in the morning to just see if they can treat him instead of waiting until Monday. I also picked up some wet food while I was out earlier. Thank you again for all your tips and helpful information. Everything you said has been duly noted (no sarcasm)!!!

Thank you again!

Carmen

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have a low thirst drive. The only way to make them get enough water is feed them wet food. Especially male cats because of their longer urethra. What you need to do is stop feeding kibbles altogether permanently unless he won't eat anything else. There is no such thing as a bladder-friendly dry cat food because what the bladder needs is a lot more water. Good luck finding a grain-free organic wet food he likes.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Otto,

Thank you so much for the help in this matter. There is an animal hospital not located far from where we live. I will call them in the morning to just see if they can treat him instead of waiting until Monday. I also picked up some wet food while I was out earlier. Thank you again for all your tips and helpful information. Everything you said has been duly noted (no sarcasm)!!!

Thank you again!

Carmen
You're welcome. Hope he's doing okay. Please let us know how the vet trip goes. If you can, make sure he has a full bladder when you take him in.