Ongoing soft poops for the past few months..

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Would like to seek some advice or guidance. My cat (4.5 years old male scottish fold), has been having soft poop for the past few months. It’s not like explosive soft/ completely puddle like, more like, there’s shape, but also it doesn’t keep to the shape.

He eats 2 wet meals in general with a couple pieces of Hills W/D for a light snack in the afternoon.

His wet meals are:
- 7 to 8 grams of freeze dried raw lamb (raw meow australian brand)
- around 20+ grams of ziwipeak canned
- around 20+ grans of tiki cat after dark
- 40 grams of water added to above

I haven’t changed his meals in the past couple months so no difference there with his diet. Have also noticed in the past 2-3 months that he has been having more shedding and hairballs (he never had hairballs before, now he’s had 2 in the last 2-3 months).

I’ve brought him to the vets, who just started him on a different probiotic (protexin synbiotic D-C) which i’ve since been using for kitty regularly. He was also wormed and on revolution. It’s hard to get a fecal sample cause i work all day long hours and by the time i get home, the poop has been sitting out for awhile. On those days im not working, he somehow chooses not to poop during the day time.
Otherwise the vet says to just monitor cause he’s not clinically unwell (no fever, not vomiting, still eating and playing). But before the past few months, his poop has largely been nice and well formed! So if possible i’d like to get it sorted out..

Oh also, he doesnt have diarrhea in the sense that he goes multiple times a day. He still poops generally 1x per day, sometimes 1x in 2 days. He is also not losing weight, in fact he is gaining 😓

I was thinking of adding psyllium husk/ slippery elm in his food.. any suggestions i can do for his diet? The vet suggested to eliminate the freeze dried raw to see how we go..

I’ll link a picture of him and the poop if its not too gross!
CFCA3C76-EB54-49A6-BCF5-F9B0CAA17C4B.jpeg

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The shedding could be from stress. Even loose stools. Anything changed? Online there is a poop chart. If it continues take a pic to your vet's. If he has diaheria, it can cause him to eat more from dehydration though he doesn't go much

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You mentioned you haven't changed his food in the past couple months, and this has been going on for a couple months. Did you happen to change his food about the time it started? It's very possible there is something in one of the foods that is not agreeing with him and is causing the issue. If the new probiotic doesn't help, you could eliminate one of the foods and see if that helps. If it doesn't, put that food back in and eliminate another one and see what happens. Personally, I don't think it's the freeze dried food, but rather something in the canned food. Sometimes even something they use for thickeners can cause these issues.