Ongoing Issues Related To Eating, Constipation (long)

MDad1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. My cat has been having some ongoing issues lately, and I thought I would reach out and see if anyone might have any insights. I apologize for the length.

She is almost 12 and has been an indoor-only cat since I rescued her as a kitten. I had noticed that she had slowed down a bit in the last several months, sleeping a bit more and more deeply, not getting up and greeting me when I got home like she usually did, etc. But her behavior otherwise seemed normal, so I thought it was just the result of aging.

One evening in late April, she threw up a lot of food. She threw up occasionally anyway (maybe once every few weeks), so I didn’t think too much about it until I noticed that she had also peed just outside her (covered) litter box. I cleaned that up and removed the lid to give her easier access. She immediately got in the box and pooped. The next day I noticed that she had actually peed on my bed as well. I thought this might be related to some stiffness I had observed, thinking again that it might just be some age-related arthritis. The next day saw her pee on the bed a second time, when she had been trying to figure out how to get down but didn’t seem to want to jump and finally just squatted and peed (I tried to lift her down, but she has never been much for being picked up and growled). Again, arthritis I thought.

After the vomiting/peeing episode, I observed over a few days that she had not been eating or drinking as much or pooping as usual. Since she seemed to be constipated and not drinking, I started offering her some wet food along with her usual dry. She had always had a good appetite and no previous health issues. I’d fed her the same indoor dry food for nearly 10 years, and she always ate it happily and would consistently drink a good amount from her water bowl, too.

She didn’t seem at all interested in her dry food anymore and would eat some wet food, maybe 3-4 ounces a day, and she continued to be constipated, only pooping every 3-5 days. I had a home vet come and give her a full checkup. The vet couldn’t come for several days and told me to start giving her a small dose of Miralax at every meal. The night before the vet came, she had a large and relatively normal looking BM after about four days. She had to be sedated for the exam, as she has never been good with being picked up or restrained. The exam and blood tests did not reveal any obvious problems. The vet said her colon felt empty. The vet also said her teeth looked great, which is one thing I was concerned about. She also got a bag of sub-q fluids just in case, though the vet said she wasn’t particularly dehydrated.

Flash forward a week, and she had not pooped again yet. She still wasn’t eating more than maybe 3-4 ounces of wet food a day, so I called the home vet, who said to try a small dose of Dulcolax. Pilling my cat is a big challenge, but I did get one dose into her, and whether it was that or just time, she did have a rather large BM that was a little soft, followed by some very loose BMs over the next couple of days. When she didn’t go again for about 5 days and still wasn’t eating much, I called the home vet, who referred me to an internal medicine vet.

I should add that, during this period, kitty seemed a bit distant and lethargic, squinting a lot, looking uncomfortable when she started to lay down, keeping mostly to the couch except to get up and eat a little and pee 2-3 times a day. And I had to encourage her to eat that 3-4 ounces, usually by sitting next to her, coaxing her, petting her, etc. I also added a few Tbs of water to her food, since I had not seen her drink form the many bowls I had put out in a long time.

She had her appointment with the internist this week, and they ended up keeping her overnight so that they could do xrays, ultrasound, and upper and lower endoscopy in addition to the physical exam and full blood workup. I was particularly worried that her liver might be compromised by this point, given the relatively small amount she had been eating, but all of her tests – kidneys, liver, etc - were normal, aside from slightly high blood sugar and slightly low potassium. They had been concerned about an ulcer or some upper GI bleeding, as the stool she expressed after a couple of enemas was black, but the endoscopies did not reveal any bleeding. The only thing the vet mentioned was some “cobblestoning” in her colon, but she didn’t seem too concerned with that. They also took several biopsies, and those results should come back Monday.

They gave me a prescription for mirtazapine, given every other day, to get her eating and told me to give her a small dose of Prilosec OTC every day to help with likely stomach acid issues (which seemed to be suggested by the awkward sitting and squinting). The mirtazapine seems to be working, and the day after her first dose, she ate at least two cans of Fancy Feast (the only thing she had been tolerating) and even a little dry food. I’m not sure if I got the second dose in her last night (again, pilling her is a battle, and she won’t take it ground up in food), but she’s still eating ok today if not as heartily as the previous couple of days. I’ve also been giving her the Prilosec, which I found that I could grind up and mix with a little water and pour over her food without her objecting. Her next dose of mirtazapine is tomorrow night. We’ll see how that goes.

However, since she got home, she has been having small BMs that are a mix of very loose and barely formed stools (but normal in color). She’s also passed audible gas a few times while having those movements, which has never happened before, and once went into the litter box as if to poop and only passed gas. I saw that this could be a side effect of the Prilosec. I have noticed that she has been more active and seemed less "creaky" getting on and off the sofa, for example, since she got home.

Apologies again for the extremely long post, but I wasn’t sure if a detail might jump out at someone who had dealt with something like this before. I’ve been absolutely worried sick for the month this has been going on and have barely slept some nights, especially the night before I had to take her to the internist (she hadn’t left the house in years, and I had to use a pillowcase to get her into the carrier. It made me so sick to have to do that). I called the internist’s office again on Friday just to see if there was anything I needed to be concerned about regarding her eating, hydration, etc., and they very patiently answered all of my questions. They told me about the neck skin test for dehydration, and she doesn’t seem to be dehydrated going by that (nor was she when they saw her, they said, which seems amazing given her eating/drinking, but…).

Thanks for any insights. The last few days I’ve started wondering if I jumped the gun and caused all this by forcing all of these changes and stressful events on her and have created some sort of negative loop. Sigh. The biopsy results could reveal all sorts of things I was told, so I’m anxiously awaiting those.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Constipation is so frustrating. What did the vet mean by "cobblestoning?" Is it that the appearance of the colon is lumpy?

Symptoms that cats have can mirror so many other conditions. It sounds like your cat had some very thorough exams and tests that should reveal if there is anything definitely out of the ordinary. Hopefully those tests will come back normal too. As you have noted she definitely doesn't feel good.

Do you notice if a particular flavor of food precedes the days of not pooping? That might be the next phase, switching to a novel protein and then figuring out if there is a particular protein causes issues. For example, as you may have already noticed, Fancy Feast sometimes has fish in even the flavors labeled "chicken." And some types of meat meal can have feathers or bones as part of the ingredients that can definitely contribute to constipation issues. Unless a manufacturer specifically says "no byproducts" it could have these ingredients in the meal.

Some brands have limited ingredients that you can try. Also ask the vet about probiotics--like the kind you find in yogurt. It could be that some re-set of the gut bacteria is called for too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MDad1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your response. The vet said there was some thickening of the colon and then used the term "cobblestoning," which, when I searched on Google, sounds like it could signal IBS, or possibly other things. The vet didn't mention anything about megacolon (which I was worried about) or seem especially concerned about the "cobblestoning." Yet, at least.

I haven't noticed any correlation between food flavor and her constipation. Since she has been home from the internist and having loose stools and gas, I've been feeding her mostly Fancy Feast Chicken and Liver and Cod/Whitefish/Shrimp flavors, because she seems to like those. I also have given her Purina Naturals Grain-Free, Chicken and Turkey flavors, which she isn't as enthusiastic about but will eat some of. Before I took her to the internist, I tried all sorts of "healthy" brands like Blue Buffalo, and she wouldn't touch them. I was so worried about getting the calories and moisture in her, then and now, that I didn't want to get hung up on forcing something super healthy on her, which the vet agreed with. I know it would be best in the long-run to get her on something that is as simple and healthy as possible.

Before I got referred to the internist, I did try sprinkling a little Forti Flora over her food, but she wouldn't touch it. I can ask the vet about alternatives when I talk to them next week.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I offer Fancy Feast to my kitties too. It's a can of the healthy stuff with side dishes of Fancy Feast. People have opinions on ingredients, vitamin sources, etc. But I had a cat that lived to 19 on Fancy Feast and Purina One dry food. There are those that would caution against things like guar gum, but guar gum is actually a type of fiber--I think soluble---and aids in digestion.

I wouldn't think megacolon. That is literally when the colon is so stretched from constipation that it doesn't return to the normal diameter and cannot rid itself of waste. My cat Booberry has an old pelvic injury and I have to be super careful with him. He had a life-threatening bout with constipation in February. My regular vet was sure it was megacolon but after he was cleared out, subsequent radiographs showed that his colon returned to a normal diameter. So I think it has to be pretty bad for a long time before megacolon is diagnosed.

I've not had good luck getting cats to eat probiotics that are not Fortiflora. I've tried the ones at the upscale pet store---either it did no good, or the cats didn't care for it.

Boo is a cat that needs medication to stay regular, and one of his prescriptions is Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Fiber Response. I was very nervous about that because my cat doesn't drink a lot of water. I thought I would be making the problem worse. He gets Weruva and a small portion of the RC Gastro food. Now he's a super dooper pooper!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before I got referred to the internist, I did try sprinkling a little Forti Flora over her food, but she wouldn't touch it. I can ask the vet about alternatives when I talk to them next week.
Have you tried Proviable? I'm guessing that it either has a pleasant flavor to cats, or at least one that's pretty neutral tasting. Buddy doesn't even notice it in his food, and trust me, he notices everything! :biggrin:

MDad1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your responses. I haven't tried Proviable, but I'll keep that in mind. I should probably try Forti Flora again and try mixing it in better.

I haven't heard back about the biopsies yet, but I did call the vet to see if I could get a transdermal or liquid mirtazaprine. I didn't talk to her directly, but she had called in a prescription for a liquid to a compounding pharmacy. Tried that last night, and kitty threw it up about a minute later. :( My technique probably wasn't very good, and it must taste awful from her reaction. I'm rather freaked out by all the talk of inhalation pneumonia when you search for how to give liquid meds to cats. I tried mixing it into a little food first, and she took one lick and walked away. I'll try again tonight, either the liquid or back to the pill. She ate relatively well at breakfast even without it, so that's positive I suppose. She must still have some nausea/stomach acid, because last night after eating (I have her a can of FF about two hours after the vomiting episode, and she ate almost the whole thing) she would sit for awhile in the "meatloaf" pose with her eyes closed or squinting before awkwardly curling up, and this morning, I had to follow her around with the food to get her to eat.

Now I'm worried that, after having those loose stools for days, she hasn't had any sort of movement since Sunday. I tend to clean her boxes immediately after she goes so I can monitor her activity, and it doesn't even look like she's tried. It feels like we're getting right back to where we were. Sigh. I gave her Miralax along with her Prilosec in a small amount of food this morning, and she ate almost all of that before I gave her the rest of the food, so hopefully that'll help.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
If you are pilling any horrible tasting meds=-they won't eat it in their food. Mirta is very BITTER tasting. Even compounded tastes like YUCKS!

Look on Amazon for and empty capsules. Put the pill inside a capsule and coat the end sticking out of pill popper with butter..it will go so much easier...

The gas is probably from the stool softner/miralax. how much did they tell you to give? It's a variable dose. Some cats do well on 1/8 teaspoon or less. Some need 1/4. My girl gets about 1/8 each morning. Also when you prepare it-use a shot glass full of HOT water=add beads of miralax=wait to dissolve-then add to wet food. It dissolves better this way.

I am glad you got a full workup with the kitty. Most often these tests don't say what is going on but it's a good way to gage the health of the organs and figure out what's going on. Our cats get better medical care than we do!

You can also try canned pumpkin for constipation. I have one cat who gets a teaspoon every other day of pumpkin and another cat on miralax. It's just what's easier to get into them.

One cat licks the pumpkin right off my finger=I put half a can into a Tupperware container=add a bit of water=whip it until it's like a pudding type texture=it goes in better otherwise she splatters it all around.

Personally I don't care for purina=I don't feed foods with corn in them. But each cat is different. None of mine can digest corn based foods well and aggravates their urinary issues. I feed dry kibble from Tractor Supply= 4Health. It does have potato in it but they don't seem to have issues with it=I still can't get them to eat canned. They eat a tiny bit of tuna every morning but that's for my older kitty-14. That's what I put miralax in. Most days she laps up the tuna mush. Then when she's done the other cat comes in and finishes it off so I add another shot glass of water to make it like soup=she loves it! Why I can't get them to eat canned food is beyond me...

Hoping your kitty feels better soon.

Last edited:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm rather freaked out by all the talk of inhalation pneumonia when you search for how to give liquid meds to cats.
It does sound pretty scary, but it's not really that hard to do correctly -- assuming it's something that's safe to administer via a syringe. IIRC, I think vets recommend that you don't use that approach for anything that's kinda oily.

I've found that the most helpful part for me was simply figuring out what approach would work best for us. In our case, that means sitting on the floor and wrapping my legs around Buddy. That way if he starts to squirm, I can gently tighten my legs to keep him in place. But that's just us. Some people feel they have better control when their cat is on a table or counter top, etc.

Then once you've cleared that hurdle, the trick is to position the tip of the syringe in the corner of the cat's mouth, and go slowly, giving them a chance to get each tiny little squirt down the hatch before pushing the plunger again. And you can always ask your vet or one of the techs to let you do it while they watch, so they can give you some pointers re: your technique. :)

MDad1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank for the suggestions! I need to try the pill gun/gel cap combo. The only pill gun I could find in stores locally was really thick and cheap.

Miraculously I was able to give her the mirtazapine pill this morning by putting a little butter on it and catching her off guard, so at least I should be good for 2-3 days, by which point I should've heard back from the vet regarding the biopsies as well as the constipation, which I emailed about today.

MDad1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, after a few attempts (getting in, then back out of the box, no straining per se), kitty did have a fairly substantial poop, well-formed, probably the most normal looking one she's had in nearly a month. The largest piece looked very normal, though it seemed a bit harder than it should be. The first bit she got out was definitely dry and a bit shriveled. Hopefully the Miralax I gave her this morning will help with her next movement. I'm definitely going to keep that up for the time being.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, after a few attempts (getting in, then back out of the box, no straining per se), kitty did have a fairly substantial poop, well-formed, probably the most normal looking one she's had in nearly a month. The largest piece looked very normal, though it seemed a bit harder than it should be. The first bit she got out was definitely dry and a bit shriveled. Hopefully the Miralax I gave her this morning will help with her next movement. I'm definitely going to keep that up for the time being.
Yay! That's awesome! :clap:

Isn't it amazing how something we used to take for granted suddenly give us such a thrill? I swear, I was almost tempted to frame Buddy's first poop after his hairball crisis, or at least have it bronzed. :biggrin:

MDad1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Seriously! Small victories. I'll be holding my breath until the next one. I gave her another half a can of food after that since she followed me into the kitchen, and she plowed through it, so maybe I actually did get the mirtazapine into her. She was acting rather apathetic about food when I got home from work - I had to coax her through about half a can then - I started thinking that she must've spit out the pill earlier, but maybe she just couldn't muster any enthusiasm even with the pill because she needed to poop.

MDad1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still no word on the biopsies today. Kitty's been eating pretty well even if I didn't get the mirtazapine into her yesterday. She hasn't pooped again yet, but it's only been 24 hours. Two things I'm wondering about though:

-One reason I thought she might not've gotten the pill yesterday is that I did have to encourage her to eat by moving the plate in front of her when she would start to walk away, keeping it in front of her, sometimes spinning it around so a new side was facing her (???), which usually made her eat some more. That's kind of how it was before I took her to the internist, but she DID eat a good amount this morning. Same thing tonight. She ate well, but it took some work.

-She does occasionally go sit next to one of the many water bowls I've put around, just for a minute or two. No head hanging or anything like that. I've tried putting ice in them, a drop of tuna water...I bought one of those burbling fountains, too. No dice. But she is eating all wet food and doesn't seem dehydrated going by the the skin test, but I wish she would drink a little, if just to help with the constipation. She seems to be urinating normally.

I don't know if either of those things jump out at anyone. The moving/spinning the food plate thing seems especially strange. I think she still has a little nausea for some reason (no vomiting, some lip-licking), but she does seem to feel a little better overall since the pooped yesterday.

MDad1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, the biopsies came back, and it is likely small-cell lymphoma. Not what I wanted to hear of course, but the vet seemed upbeat about the prognosis with treatment. She even said she's seen better outcomes with this than with other general inflammatory diseases. Their oncologist will review the results on Monday to verify. I suppose it is better to know something so we can treat her rather than continuing to stumble around in the dark about it.

Still no poop since Tuesday night, and now the vet wants a stool sample to check on a possible bacterial infection in the colon that also came up in the biopsy, so I'm hoping she'll go while I'm at work today. I also haven't given any mirtazapine since Tuesday, and I thought I would wait until tomorrow, just to see if she continues to eat well without it (even if I have to encourage her). I just didn't have the heart to shove anything down her throat last night or this morning after getting the news yesterday. :(

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if the vet has suggested anti nausea meds? Sometimes there's nausea going on- There's a few meds that they can give your baby. I have had very good success with Cerenia. This also comes as an injection. My angel Floey was unpillable. It's expensive for the vial but so much easier to give an injection than fighting over pills. Also ask about Pepcid AC. These two together helped my angel when she had lymphoma/Pancreatitis episodes. Both are available as injections. The Pepcid is bitter and such a small pill after cut up that I still had a hard time getting down her throat-she literally clamped her jaws and wouldn't allow anyone to pill. She tolerated injections and sub fluids very well. She also had a small heart murmur and we didn't do pred on her. We did smaller doses of sub fluids than the normal dose. She got daily fluids as well as 2 injections.

She too was on miralax-it dissolves best in hot water=I use a shot glass full of hot water and add the dose into it=stir then add to wet food.

I understand not wanting to pill-maybe you can figure out when to pill before meals=they are food motivated=if you have a dish of their food ready maybe they will tolerate pilling better.

My current elder cat I have to pill every morning. I got empty gel caps on amazon and put the pills inside that-then coat with butter-use the pill buster/popper. I put her on this medium height cat tree-it's clothe so she won't slide off-and it's in the corner of kitchen so she can't get away-I find cats like routine-if you can figure out a place to put the cat where it's higher up than the floor then you can easily reach their mouths better than bending over...

MDad1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I am going to try the gel capsule/butter method with the prednisolone so maybe I can do both in one go, which the directions say are possible. I had ordered #4 size, but they weren't quite big enough, so I have #3 coming. I also finally got my vet to agree to try transdermal mirtazapine for appetite/nausea, just to try to have one fewer thing that has to go in her mouth. I'll see how that goes. I'll also ask about Cerenia for when she starts the chemo drug later this week.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The butter is a good idea. I used a pill gun and the capsules from Amazon last summer when having to give a cat a series of unpleasant pills. She still wasn't happy about it, but at least the terrible taste was avoided. Unfortunately she wasn't a fan of butter. Good luck with the treatment! Here's to it working and your kitty getting back to her old self.

MDad1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She does seem like she brightened up a bit after the first full day of prednisolone. Ate almost a whole can of FF for dinner after not eating much in the morning, then wanted more around 11PM. I got a little concerned that she had a rather large pee after I got home (not unusual; sometimes she seems to not go all day til I get back), then had a normal one later in the evening, and had a normal one overnight that I saw this morning. That seems like more than usual, and it occurred to me that her wanting more wet food last night might've had to do more with moisture than actual hunger. She still doesn't seem to be drinking out of her various bowls/fountain. I saw that increased thirst/urination/appetite can be side effects of the prednisolone. I'm ok with the last one, but the first two concern me a bit since she hasn't been drinking from a bowl (at least that I've seen) ever since all this started in April. I'll keep observing for a day or so before I give myself one more thing to worry about!
And still no poop in three days! :bawling2: I'm beginning to wonder if part of it is behavioral. She mostly hangs out on the sofa in the den now and pees in her box in there, and the last two times she pooped, she went upstairs to the box in my bedroom, where she used to hang out before all this started and where her only box was for 10 years. I was in the room with her when she went. That first 4-5 days after the internist when she had loose stools, she would go in any/all of her boxes, whether I was there or not. I tried coaxing her up the stairs last night a couple of times to see if she might be inspired to go if she got up there, but she only made it to the landing before sitting down and staring at me. I tried moving that box to the den once last week to see if she just wanted a separate box to poop in down there...and she almost immediately started heading up the stairs, so I followed her back up with the box. :p We'll see what this evening brings.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the pred does cause increase in thirst/eating and peeing. Not sure about the pooping-is she eating normal this morning/day? How much miralax is she getting each day?

Some cats just won't change where they poo. One of mine only poo when there's nothing in the box so we scoop twice a day. I tried moving a box closer to her bed because she's older and she was ticked off that her regular cat box was moved.

MDad1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She didn't eat much before I had to leave this morning, but she will usually go back and eat some later in the morning, before it gets too dry. Then I'll give her fresh food when I get home in the evening, and she generally eats better then. That's what she did yesterday as well. The vet is having me sent some transdermal mirtazapine at the same time as the chemo drug, so I'm hoping that will help bump up her intake a little. She generally eats about 1.5-1.75 of the 3oz cans of FF a day, which doesn't seem like much, but the vet didn't seem concerned, as long as she was willingly eating.

I've been giving her 1/4 tsp of Miralax, twice a day. I need to get better about putting it in a smaller amount of food and making her finish that first so I know she gets all of it.

The other thing about the pooping, I monitor whether she has been into the box and not produced anything, and she doesn't seem to be trying. Same thing before she pooped Saturday night; no evidence of even trying until that night, when I saw some tracks but nothing in the box when I got home, then some quick hops in and out of the box (no straining, or even full squatting), THEN a successful trip, complete with normal scratching around, etc.