One year old cat, destructive chewing is more than I can handle.

tinav43

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My one year old male cat started chewing the wood around our home about a month ago. He's always been orally fixated- suckling on a blanket everytime he lays with us on the couch, but it's grown into some really destructive behavior. He'd gnaw on a wicker hamper, some cheap wood paneling that we're eventually going to replace anyway. But now, he moved on to the decorative wood molding that flanks our staircase. The first time he did it was when my husband and I were at work (we've both worked full time jobs the entire time we've had him- since December 2015). Then he did it more frequently while we were sleeping to wake us up at 5am (worked like a charm since it's not like I can just ignore that crunching sound that says "I'm tearing the place apart!")

We adopted him with his litter-mate brother at the same time and they are very bonded and get along well. His brother has zero behavioral problems but our little guy is driving me crazy. I tried bitter spray- it did nothing. I covered up the areas he chewed, he he just chewed more. I now have the entire staircase covered with blankets but fear he will just move on to a new spot to chew. We've given him cat and dog chew toys, which he does gnaw on sometimes--- but he still likes to go after the wood.

We play with both cats for about an hour a day. We took him to the vet- he is in perfect health.. No gum or teeth problems and his blood work came back fine. I just don't know what else to do. We started putting them both in our large bathroom at night to sleep (they have litter boxes, food, water, toys, their blankets and beds) so the little guy at least can't gnaw on the molding while we're sleeping, but he's still doing it during the day.

Aside from playing with him 24/7- I don't know what he wants from me :( I just want my sweet little boy back :( I am about to cancel our vacation because I can't ask anyone to watch them for us if he's still doing this (a vacation my husband and I desparetly need after our house caught fire last year and we spent months rebuilding). Has anyone ever had this problem and found a solution other than medication or having to give him up? I can't stand the thought of either scenario but I don't know what else to do.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Our Sybil went through a phase when we first moved into our house where she was determined to chew on the trim in the living room...and weird as i sounds, we actually cleaned up a inch-thick stick of wood and gave it to her as a toy. She carried that round and chewed it, and once she was finished with it she never seemed to go back to chewing the trim. (She will occasionally steal sticks that get tracked into the house, though)

That;s what worked for us...hopefully someone else has more experience and ideas.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If this is an anxiety issue, I don't think medication is a bad idea at all. He will feel better once he's on it, and it could act as a reset, in which case he won't need to stay on the medication forever. Medicating would certainly be better than rehoming, and the proper dose wouldn't turn him into a zombie or anything of the sort.

That said, I also wonder if it's a boredom issue and if more playtime or puzzle toys would help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinav43

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Really!? I hadn't tried actually giving him a piece of wood. He doesn't respond all that well to the chew sticks. Our house is still in renovation so I have a few small chunks of 2x4's in the dining room but he's never gone to them on his own. I'll try that. Thank you! I'm glad your little girl is well behaved now :)

tinav43

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@talkingpeanut thanks for responding. The Internet is an informative yet scary place so I've been reading about the side effects of kitty Prozac which can be worse than the chewing behavior!! I am thinking he may be anxious or bored. The unfortunate thing is, he is not very brite lol. I got him treat dispensing toys and he gave up very quickly. Thanks for your advice.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@talkingpeanut thanks for responding. The Internet is an informative yet scary place so I've been reading about the side effects of kitty Prozac which can be worse than the chewing behavior!! I am thinking he may be anxious or bored. The unfortunate thing is, he is not very brite lol. I got him treat dispensing toys and he gave up very quickly. Thanks for your advice.
I think you'd just need to work with your vet! The first medication or dose might not be right, but you would retool until it's right. This makes even more sense to me if he's not that bright. But don't think that you're giving up on him!

tinav43

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am writing this reply two months after my first post to hopefully help others in my situation. We tried a few things that had a tremendous impact on our chewy little kitty. We bought a Feliway diffuser which really seems to help calm kitty down. We took chewy kitty the vet and after some routine blood work which confirmed that he didn't have anything medically wrong with him (the chewing was strictly behavioral, not due to some physical ailment), she prescribed Prozac. The medication has been a godsend. I was worried he'd be drugged out and mopey but he's not at all! He is just--- CALM. He is purry and cuddly again and he's not chewing on everything anymore! We still keep chewy kitty and his brother in the bathroom at night just to sleep which has been working out well for everyone. No more chewing to wake us up at 5am. Since he's been on the medicine, he hasn't chewed anything in the bathroom. He doesn't suck his blanket anymore either. The medicine seems to really help his chewing/ sucking compulsion. He did bite at my bookshelf once or twice but it's been a major improvement. I still have the staircase covered but I am very hopeful that in time, we can remove the blankets and repair the damage. Oh a and the Prozac script was $10--- for 30 pills that I cut in quarters. Almost a 4 month supply for $10 is more than doable. I hope this posts gives others hope who may be dealing with a destructive chewy kitty.

tinav43

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welp. I spoke too soon. Some of the blankets that were covering the iOS flaking the stairs came down and kitty immediately chewed the largest chunk out that he has so far. Looks like the obsessive need to chew is still there. I am trying to be patient but this is so frustrating.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welp. I spoke too soon. Some of the blankets that were covering the iOS flaking the stairs came down and kitty immediately chewed the largest chunk out that he has so far. Looks like the obsessive need to chew is still there. I am trying to be patient but this is so frustrating.
I'm sorry to hear this! Perhaps his dose could be raised a bit? His system has adjusted since he first started so he may need more now.