One Week Post Spay, Stitches Undone

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, my 6 month kitten Anya was spayed last Thursday and yesterday I was checking her spay incision and noticed that the black sutures (?) holding it closed were gone and it was open. There's a hole probably about the size of pea, the skin around the hole is stiff and it looks dark red and wet inside and isn't leaking fluid or pus. The skin around it doesn't look super red and it's not warm but I'm super worried! I read online that vets usually do multiple layers on sutures but I don't know how big of a deal it is that this outside one has come undone.

Can anyone give me any advice? Her activity, eating, drinking, defecating etc is normal and she'll lick at the spot but not obsessively, just as part of when she grooms her belly. She let me inspect it and it doesn't seem like it's causing her any pain. I have a cone for her but took it off 48 hours after the surgery because she was doing well. I can also get a baby onesie or something to put on her? I'm just not sure if this is an emergency or not!

Editing to add pictures as I get them!

Attachments

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Although it looks clean it shouldnt have a hole like that. I would take her back to your vets or at the very least send this photo to your vet for his option.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much — sending the pictures off to the vet right now. Only the expensive emergency vet is open on the weekend so I'm hoping it's not an emergency but I'd much rather get her in sooner than later if it has the potential to get infected :(

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad you took her in! Problems after a spay can be very serious if not treated quickly. Hopefully all will be well with her now! sending hugs :grouphug: