One Week After Spay Question

Korinmewmew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMG_8176.JPG
IMG_8239.JPG
Hello all,

Today is one week since my little Korin got spayed. I didn't put a cone on her because she kept taking it off. Instead I put a baby onesie on her. I have been changing it every day, and checking her incition. I think it is healing wonderfully. But in between changes I let her groom herself while I watch and make sure she doesn't lick her stitches. But she tries to lick them.

Do you think I can stop putting on the onesie? Will it be ok for her to lick herself now?

karolinas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten was spayed a bit over 2 weeks ago and was told to keep the cone on for 10 days (the onesie is a good alternative). Apparently around the 5-8 day mark, the area can get a bit itchy and that is when you have the highest probability of the cat biting at the incision. Plus it looks like the stitches are outside of the body, instead of the inside, creating a higher probability of her biting them and breaking it. It is really important for her to not have access to her incision for 10 days. The stitches are basically protecting all her insides from falling out (sorry to vulgar) and obviously being fatal. It isn't worth the probable risks so keep the onesie on!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He incision looks amazing! I would try the onesie off while you're at home and able to watch her. If you don't see her licking at it you can leave it off.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The incision looks great! Also, she's insanely adorable.

I'd say leave it on for a couple more days if she's still trying to lick it. This period of time tends to be the itchy phase, where they are actually more likely to mess with it than they were in the first couple days. Especially with some of the stitches starting to look a bit loose (that's normal), she could easily get a pointy little kitten claw under them and rip them out.

animallover07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every pet I have ever had has tried to "lick their wounds" after being fixed. I honestly have never came across an issue from them occasionally doing so either. I don't think licking will cause as much of a problem as say, biting at the stitches would. It looks pretty well healed up. I'd say she would be okay, even if she did lick them, as long as she wasn't pulling or scratching at the stitches. I (myself) would try taking the onesie off and try letting her do her own thing. Making sure to check the incision site a few times a day to make sure it still looks good. If in a couple days you have seen nothing looking different then she should be okay without it from here on out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Korinmewmew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for all your responses. I did keep the onesie on just to be safe.

It's just that when I take it off to change it, she feels relieved to have it off. But it is just for a few more days.