One Sister Doesn't Like The Other. What To Do?

katrich

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A year and a half ago, I acquired two sisters aged five at that time. One doesn't like the other one. Both are attached to me and will sleep next to me, one on each side. The smaller one (1) doesn't like the other larger one (2). 1 will hiss and growl if 2 comes too close. 2 is very cautious when passing 1. They've chased each other a few times. Not sure which initiates. 1 appears to be the "victim" yet seems to be the aggressor in not tolerating 2. I have not witnessed 2 attacking 1. 2 is much more social to humans than 1.

I live in a large house with two levels I can't close off. I have two litter boxes on both floors. Only one eating area. A couple of water bowls on each floor. Both refer to sleep in my room.

I wish 1 tolerated 2 better. Any ideas to improve the situation?

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
When do you notice these spats? Is it during litter box time? The general accepted amount of litter boxes is 1 box per cat + 1, so you should have 3 ideally and not 2.

Have you tried calming collars or pheromone sprays/diffusers? Brands include Feliway, Sentry, etc.

Do you try and associate good times with each other? As in play together, treats, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katrich

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They happen whenever 2 walks by too close to 1. So passing by each other whether it's getting on the bed, coming inside when one is in and the other is going out, or passing in the hallway. It's like she has a really small personal space bubble. I have 4 or 5 litter boxes, two on each level.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never thought to do it myself, but other members have suggested putting up cameras that can 'spy' on their cats for whatever reason needed. In your case, you could find out if 2 is ever 'sneak attacking' 1 while you are not watching? And, since 1 is smaller than 2, she might find 2 somewhat intimidating.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I understand your situation! Almost fourteen years ago, I got two girls from the same litter because I wanted two kitties who would love and snuggle with one another. For several months, that’s what we had. So sweet. And then it stopped. They hate each other. Usually they ignore each other, but occasionally one will chase the other and we’ll have hissing and ear splitting yells and shrieks. No bloodshed, though. I tell them to stop, and they do.

I have both Feliway Classic and Feliway Multicat diffusers plugged in and it does help a bit. I try really hard to give equal attention and to not overdo the love with one if the other is watching because otherwise I get the Glare of Death. But as long as there’s no bloodshed or fur flying, I stay out of it. It’s disappointing, though. Not all siblings get along.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like how my one cat used to growl at my punk when he was all hyper. Technically my punk hadn't attacked him at the time but given the chance he would jump on his brother and bite him between the shoulders. In my case I would hear Salem growl then distract my punk with play. Worked like a charm on my hyper terror!

Also have you tried feeding them wet food next to each other? On two different plates a few feet apart to start, of course.

My boys never got along great but they did tolerate each other. They would seek comfort from each other if I was gone. They just annoyed each other like siblings do. Some cats, all you can hope for is tolerance not liking.
:hangin: