One-sided Fighting In New Kittens -- Help! New Cat Owner

brigallo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last weekend me and my girlfriend adopted two kittens from a local animal shelter. Our two girls were from different litters (I'll call them sisters to make things easier in this post) and they're 9 weeks old at this point (8 weeks when we adopted them.) Their names are Prufrock and Mungojerrie (Mungo).

Recently they've started to fight (kind of). I made an account because I can't find anything that talks about my specific situation.

Prufrock is MUCH more energetic and plays endlessly with us. She warmed up to the change of scenery more quickly than her sister. Mungo is more laidback and has a stronger desire for human interaction -- she's still playful, just not as much.

It took them a few days for them to become comfortable enough to attempt playing. Then, one would stalk the other, but the "target" would hiss when engaged, and the "stalker" would run off. They'd take turns doing this.

Now they're full-fledged playing, and sometimes it's fine (albeit rough, but within normal ranges). However, Prufrock will continue beyond what Mungo is comfortable with. They engage in rough play, but eventually Prufrock will tackle her sister and pin her down, causing Mungo to growl with her ears pinned back and try to "rabbit kick" to separate. She'll run away but Prufrock will chase after her and keep trying to play. I do my best to break it up with noise or a barrier when I hear growling. Mungo usually finds a place to escape (she loves to sit on the warm router in the living room!) but usually stalks her sister and tries to engage a few minutes later.

Prufrock never hisses and her ears are forward-facing while playing, so it seems to me like she's just trying to play, but I'm worried that we have a conflict in personalities. It doesn't seem like they hate each other because they can coexist peacefully otherwise and there doesn't seem to be any avoidance behavior.

We've started to separate them when we're out of the house, and they both have access to their own food, water, and litter boxes.

My girlfriend and I really want them to be happy, and we don't know if this is normal. We're worried that someone will get hurt or this could sour their relationship before it can really get started. I can provide any other information if it's needed.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! My opinion is that separating them isn't a bad idea, it gives them a chance to rest and recuperate from the tussles of play, and breaking them up when things get particularly rough and outrageous is ok.
It sounds to me that this is normal play, especially because of this;
Mungo usually finds a place to escape (she loves to sit on the warm router in the living room!) but usually stalks her sister and tries to engage a few minutes later.
However, if you're seeing that Prufrock is regularly getting really rough, give her a HISS. That's what her mama would do when teaching youngsters about boundaries and what's ok, and what's not :)

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Amongst even the best of friends or siblings you can expect one or the other to sometimes sound like he or she is being killed during play. Hissing, growling and outright screaming, as well as kicks to the head or headlocks are all just part of normal play. I think it is best to let the two establish their own boundaries with one another. I would not step in unless the noise level is getting on your nerves and then I would quiet them by distracting them with some form of joint play such as chasing a wand or laser.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brigallo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
However, if you're seeing that Prufrock is regularly getting really rough, give her a HISS. That's what her mama would do when teaching youngsters about boundaries and what's ok, and what's not :)
I'll try that! Sounds like a good way to speak to them on their level.

Amongst even the best of friends or siblings you can expect one or the other to sometimes sound like he or she is being killed during play. Hissing, growling and outright screaming, as well as kicks to the head or headlocks are all just part of normal play. I think it is best to let the two establish their own boundaries with one another. I would not step in unless the noise level is getting on your nerves and then I would quiet them by distracting them with some form of joint play such as chasing a wand or laser.
Thank you -- this makes me feel better. The noise level isn't a problem for me, I just don't want them to hurt each other!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, yep, all totally normal. Even among kittens, its quite common for one to like the play more than the other. Sometimes unequal activity levels can be a big deal among older cats, but nothing bad seems to ever come of it at the kitten level. I personally wouldn't break them up ever unless the shy one starts showing avoidance of the other cat outside of play sessions. Cats of all ages definitely hold grudges and show generalized avoidance if they are being actually hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brigallo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I personally wouldn't break them up ever unless the shy one starts showing avoidance of the other cat outside of play sessions. Cats of all ages definitely hold grudges and show generalized avoidance if they are being actually hurt.
What should we do if we start to see avoidance behavior?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What should we do if we start to see avoidance behavior?
You would either add a calming product, do a reintroduction, start supervising their time together or let them work it out depending on what was going on and how things changed. For example, sometimes there are problems after a vet visit, but they are usually short term.