One Sick Cat, One Poobum Cat

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Over Saturday night Milo had a bad bum but is fine in himself (although I thought him a bit off his food). He is still producing soft stools and is long haired so that's fun....

More seriously, I got home on Monday to find Poppy had been throwing up all day (she was fine at 7.30am) and the bile was pale pink and smelt funny. She was lethargic and cold. Whisked her off to the vet where her temperature was 40.5 and she had pain under her sternum (I think - she's long haired so hard to see where vet was pressing. It caused a lot of miaowing). Vet gave her painkillers and antibiotics. Took her home, she spent all night under the chest of drawers but by morning was accepting a tiny bit of food and some dreamies. We went back to the vet yesterday morning and her temperature was back to normal. She's eating too.

When I got home yesterday I gave her oral painkillers and she freaked - blind cats sure can run fast! She's fine in herself now although this morning she went under the chest of drawers for a while but purring.

Could this be connected? An infection manifesting differently? Vet said it could be infection, blockage or something she ate. I've thrown away all wet pouches from the current batch and all dry food, replacing with fresh.

Milo is 14 months, Poppy is 21 months.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you mention Milo's poo bum (LOVE THAT TERM!) to the vet? This could be related to Poppy's issues, as the same bacteria/virus can present differently in individual cats. I am happy to hear that Poppy is improving, though, and yes, blind cats can be phenominally fast in a place that they know well!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am confused. So, Poppy is being treated with antibiotics, but not Milo? Poppy had a fever, but not Milo. Poppy had to have painkillers, but not Milo? Yes, food issues can present themselves differently with each cat. But, an infection is an infection. So, that right there tells me that something is going on with Poppy that is not going on with Milo - unless he has an infection and more serious symptoms have yet to present themselves. Of course, I may be missing something in your original post...

How are they both doing now? Eating/drinking/peeing-pooping/playing/etc. normally? Antibiotics can resolve infections, yes. But, if there is something else going on, painkillers will only temporarily mask the underlying issue.

Btw, purring is not only a sign of contentment. Sometimes, cats do that as a way to console themselves.

Good start with replacing all the food! Hope that makes all the difference!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Milo is (was!) fine in himself, really bouncy just had bad bum. Poppy was cold, lethargic, being sick and in pain. It wasn't me favouring my cats, it was just that Milo didn't present as being unwell. As he has long haired pantaloons I assumed he just had a soft poo. Unfortunately he is now unwell too so he will be going to the vet and getting antibiotics too.

Fortunately Poppy is now about 98% so she's very much on the mend. This morning Milo is off his food but not sick.

There is a MASSIVE furball this morning downstairs so i don't know if the meds caused it to loosen and it's Poppy's or it's Milo's and he just feels jaded because he got rid of it.

Poppy is eating well and drinking but soft poos (presuming the meds). Milo is not eating well.

Incidentally, with the purring I knew it was good purring as she was doing all the mummy love things that go with it.

It's hard with two cats working out what is going on with each of them!

Did you mention Milo's poo bum (LOVE THAT TERM!) to the vet?
Yes, I did, and the vet said that it could be related. I have to say, I'm a pro at cat showers now.....

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Watch Milo carefully. I know you are aware that being "off" about food is often the first sign of illness.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: The vet phoned me yesterday to check how Poppy is and she has agreed that I can use her meds on Milo. He is easier to feed them too. He was much perkier when I got home, chasing his treat and eating. They're both sleeping a bit more, and Milo is quieter in the mornings but was back rubbing my face after the shower this morning, so I suspect they're both getting better, as opposed to totally better.

I do swap their wet food around between three brands, as they like the variety. The only anomaly is that I bought a small bag of dried Sainsbury's food and things seem to have gone downhill after that. But the vet suspected it's viral so maybe it isn't the food. I've thrown it all out anyway, and they are back on Purina wet and a bit of Felix.

And my house is less poo smelly! They both need a bum shave, bless them.