One Question About My New Semi Feral Cat

genevievem

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My family has always fed the ferals and strays in our neighborhood so we're always trying to transition the willing cats into house pets. Recently, I brought in a sweet little girl named Marbles and within the few days she's been here she has adjusted so, so well. If anything, I'm a little surprised and confused. The first night she was here, she was miserable; hiding under my bed, trying to get out of the house, crying when I stopped her from leaving. But after that first night it's like she switched gears completely and since then she hasn't tried leaving at all. She followed me outside twice and both times immediately ran back to my room and jumped up on my bed. Is this normal behavior for a semi feral cat? Can I just assume she loves being an indoor kitty and this was a success? I've never experienced a cat who seems so content staying inside all day, especially since she's lived on the streets for as long as I've known her and it took such a short period of time to acclimate.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have taken care of feral colonies and have taken in many ferals.

I have found this to be much more common than most people think. I think a cat can sense trust and love and since you had a prior relationship with her it can help lead to faster acceptance. The first reaction usually is uncertainty even when the cat knows you. Because it is a different territory. But food tends to do wonders and build trust. As does how the humans act. If the humans are calm and confident then the cat takes on those feelings and feels safe and secure.

It is great that she went high (on your bed not underneath it) when she returned into your room. Going high says I am confident, I feel safe here.

I think we always have to work on keeping a cat confident and happy. If we give a cat a warm safe place to sleep and hang out, places to go high (cat trees), places to get their scent on (scratching posts), give them good food and water so they don't need, give them exercise via play then a cat is perfectly happy to be an indoor cat. Personally, I have never had a cat (and all mine are ferals) ever want to leave. I don't have the statistics but I am guessing when you give a cat a good life they have no desire to leave.

But it does take some work. Keep using food to build trust. At some point start playing with the cat (just take it slow as at first she may be suspicious). Give the cat comfy bedding, places to hang out (cat trees, window perches, cat shelving if possible). Places to own (cat trees and scratching posts). Always be calm and confident around them and let them know they are loved (using food and treats). Let the cat initiate contact, never force affection the cat let the cat start the contact.

Ferals are just cats. Cats that love to be loved, to hunt/play, to run around, sleep, groom, etc. So I am not surprised by how she has acclimated. She can sense you are a great person.

Always feel free to send me a message if you ever have any questions. Thank you for saving a life and taking such good care of Marbles!!

animallover07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's great news that she's doing well! Is it possible she was once an inside cat that someone let out? Or maybe she was scared the first little bit (with the trying to run) and now she understands that you just want to give her shelter? I have noticed the younger you try to bring the ferals in the more open they are too it. Maybe she is just getting more comfy now that she's knows you are trustworthy?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How young is she? It only took me three days to pet and hold my former feral Demi, but he was only about 6 weeks old when I found him. It's much easier when they're babies.