One or Two?

snez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, on my quest to prepare myself for my first cat, I have read that alot of cats really like having another cat to play with and can take away some of the bad behaviours of a potentially bored and lonely cat, I work 6am-3pm everyday but have an hour lunch break at home, so I am worried that my first cat will be bored/lonely, so I am considering two cats.

I have read that two cats from the same litter are best, since they are more likely to get along well, but I am a little scared that one may still bully the other, also and forgive me for saying this but I would hate to get two cats and they play with each other and completely ignore me.

I have read up on alot of cat topics, but this subject I havnt been able to find any information on, only that two cats are better than one, and having just the one cat could be selfish of the owner by wanting all the affection and yet having a lonely cat during the day.

P.S This website and the people on here are so awesome, so much information at my finger tips, thankyou!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
If you adopt via a reputable organization they should be able to tell you which cats get along well with each other, especially if the cats live communally or are in a foster home. Also, if the cats are over 5/6 months and have developed personalities, this should help in deciding which are bonded and which quarrel more. Not to say that they won't have the occasional squabble.

As for them paying attention to each other and not you, I have NOT found this to be a problem...LoL! I have 6 cats of my own (plus my foster babies) and I never lack for having 1, 2 or even 3 cats in my lap at any given time. Just be because a cat had a buddy doesn't mean you are going to get a cat that is independent of people. Likewise, just because a cat is an only doesn't mean they are going to be completely co-dependent on the owner. It simply goes back to the temperament of the cat/cats.

Personally, my most affectionate kitties are also the ones who do the best with a buddy. This is true even in the rescue. We have several who would (or have) driven someone crazy being an only. We've actually had 2 returned because they were "too affectionate!"

Hope this helps. =)

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also agree that two are better than one! You will find that they do all their rough play together and then come to you for cuddles. It's also so adorable when they curl up together!

As for bullying, It's pretty normal for one cat to be dominant but that is not a bad thing and it doesn't mean that the cats will fight or bully each other. I wouldn't worry much about that. To the contrary, one good reason for having two cats is because as they playfully fight they will learn that biting and scratching hurt, and they will learn to use restraint with each other and with people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou that is exactly the advice I have been looking for :)