One Of Resident Cats Won’t Eat With New Cat?!

Kittykat1998

Cat mom of 2 male tuxedo kitties.
Young Cat
Purraise
hi there,
So i have 2 male cats and recently adopted a stray i rescued, she’s a girl. They’re still getting used to each other but one of my cats seems to like her, and doesn’t mind being around her. However his brother is still upset - scared with the whole thing. My boys food bowls are in the kitchen and the new girls bowl is in the living room so in separate areas in 1 large space. The cat that doesn’t mind her, will still eat, whereas his brother won’t. So I’ve placed an extra dish UPSTAIRS where his bro has been eating. I’d like them all to eat in the same general vicinity like before :/ any ideas on how to get my guy comfortable with his original feeding spot again? Please and thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittykat1998

Young Cat
Purraise
Fyi, I know it doesn’t seem like a long time but cats have only been together for about a week prior to some separation

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does he shy away from her during non-eating times as well? Or, is just related to eating? Is he older? Sometimes, it just takes an older cat a lot longer to adapt to a new cat.

I don't know how long the "some separation" timeline was, but perhaps, it was not long enough. See if there are any ideas for you to try in these TCS articles. I also included one about introducing a kitten to an older cat - even the ages of your cats don't apply, it might help to try some of the tips anyway.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

Kittykat1998

Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah he does tend to shy away from her in general , he’s 2 years old and younger than her. She’s approx 5-7 years old.
They were only separated for 3-4 days, I wanted longer but she was rlly eager to explore the rest of the house. I swapped their scents and let them swap places and everything. Even have some pheromones in place

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe continue the swapping of places for a while longer? That way she gets to explore but he also has a chance to be away from her for periods of time. I would guess it would be best to allow your second boy to spend some time with both, but probably at this juncture he should spend more time with your shy guy, since that is what shy guy is used to.

It will work out over time, it has really been a very short period of time - and while some cats adapt quickly, most typically don't.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would try moving the food containers about a yard closer to the other bowls every day, this might take a month or so.... but eventually all the bowls will be back in the same area. Although, its good to give each cat some eating space. I have had 2 cats for 10 years and they still like to have their bowls a few feet apart or they'll fight.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When I rescued Coco, she would not eat with my cats Maggie and Peaaches. I fed her in my bedroom and slowly moved her closer and closer to the kitchen. It took months. It won't take your cat as long. Coco had separation anxiety. It took her a year to leave my bedroom. Now she has no problem being around my cats. Can you move him to a separate room down stairs where he cannot see her?

Kittykat1998

Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the replies. I wondering if I moved the boys feeding area back upstairs and kept our new girl’s station downstairs if that would be alright? It seems less progressive but maybe my other cat would feel more comfy? It’s normal to feed cats in separate rooms in multi cat households right?

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes I've had to feed in different rooms before; made it easier for both cats and me so I figured why not!