One of my moms kittens died

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom woke up this morning to find one of her kittens dead!
He was alive last night, but something must of happened. I think maybe mama cat smothered him. Is that possible? Or maybe he was too tiny? I dont know, but its so sad!

blindside462

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Omg I'm so sorry. These stories make me scared because I don't want any of my kittens dying..they are just 3 days old right now.

blindside462

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG I'm still scared even now that one of my kittens will get smothered. My cat sits up nursing then lays down whenever and the little one was inbetween her and the box and I saved her...it's just so frustrating...I want them to get to 2-3 weeks old so they're eyes are open and can be more careful.

kittnldy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I've heard it's possible for them to be smothered, but I've read that "Fading Kitten Syndrom" is more common.

RIP little one...

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old are the kittens? How many kittens in the litter? How long has your Mom had the queen? Where are they? Can you offer some other info?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences to you & your mom! What a sad situation to wake up to
Sometimes, they do just simply "expire" - it is so hard to find out why, sometimes. So, Godspeed over RB little one, and know that you were loved. BTW, how is mama-kitty doing? Some cats seem to understand, but I've had others that go around calling & calling....it's just so sad...

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Blindside462

OMG I'm still scared even now that one of my kittens will get smothered. My cat sits up nursing then lays down whenever and the little one was inbetween her and the box and I saved her...it's just so frustrating...I want them to get to 2-3 weeks old so they're eyes are open and can be more careful.
I tried to PM you but it didn't go through.

Don't worry so much. Are you sure you "saved" her, or was she really okay? Unless a kitten really is in danger, it's sometimes better to trust Mom. What we sometimes see as danger is Mom teaching them about life.

Was the kitten crying? If so, she probably wasn't being smothered, and mom might have been trying to teach her how to move around and protect herself.

The most important thing, in my opinion, is to make sure Mom is feeling safe and protected and unthreatened. And in her viewpoint, not ours. If she is a fairly new cat in the household, "saving" her kittens too much could be viewed as threatening to her, and a queen feeling threatened can be a reason why they might abandon or try to kill their own kittens. Unless she's a very, very young mother (like 7 or 8 months) she probably knows how not to smother them.

If possible, try to be less a Mother and more a Grandmother. Which means love, play and spoil, and let Mom do her thing

silvermoonmyst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
im so sorry sweetie, i lost 3 kittens within a couple days of birth, so i understand, its hard, but he was loved while here, i really hope mom is doing ok too.

Big huggs to both of you.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah... it's like cat-SIDS... a kitten just dies, and nobody knows why...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Charmed654321

How old are the kittens? How many kittens in the litter? How long has your Mom had the queen? Where are they? Can you offer some other info?
-The kittens are not even a week old yet, and there is 2 left now. My mom has had the queen since last fall.....and they are kept in her computer room, and it is kept dark and quiet back there. The other 2 kittys seem to be doing well so far and so does the queen. The queen is a fairly small cat, and the kittys seemed to be abit small we thought, maybe they were preemie?

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is possible, if she's very small.

I hope your mother will spay the cat now. If the cat is small, and has difficulties giving birth, it would not be a good idea to put her through this again, nor to have kittens be born only to die.

There are many low-cost spay/neuter resources available.

If she really enjoys having the kittens around, she can always foster a pregnant queen for one of the rescue groups in her area.

Let us know how the other kittens are doing.