One of my cats loves his sisters Proplan early care kidney diet...

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, he loves it. Here are the first line main ingredients: Water, Meat By-products, Liver, Rice, Powdered Cellulose, Salmon, Chicken Fat . On line, though, it says the main flavor is salmon. In any case I would like to find a non prescription diet that is similar. I am also considering the proplan non prescription diet that is for urinary care. Neither male cat has an issue, so this would be a preventive measure. Comments/thoughts appreciated.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you feeding dry, wet, or a combination of both?
It seems there are mixed feelings about feeding a non-Rx urinary care diet to cats. Personally, I've known people who have one cat on a non-Rx urinary diet and the other cats eat it, and have no problems. But others say it has lower mineral levels and isn't the top choice for cats that don't need it.
Do you think your vet would be able to have a good recommendation?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I mostly feed canned, because I want them to have sufficient moisture in their diets. My vet just says to get a food from the big ones; Hills, Purina pro plan or Royal Canin.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Personally speaking, since your vet is pushing this (among other similar products), ask them the same question. And, then, ask them to explain their response in full detail. If they can't, ask them to find out for you. Any vet that supports certain products over others ought to be able to explain why. And no vet should be frustrated by any of their clients wanting to understand in layperson's terms. Nonetheless, I'd be inclined to consider non-prescription foods that indicate they support urinary care.

Having at least annual blood work done, including a chemistry panel, will give you a reading on each cat's phosphorus level, I presume if they fall within range, then the food is not a problem. This, like all other aspects of cat care, can be complicated, as there are variables in what is acceptable ranges for cats with and without kidney issues. Something else you can find information about, or rely on your vet to explain it to you.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi FeebysOwner: My vet, who I think is excellent, like the big name brands. She tells me she has visited their plants and is very comfortable with their standards. She does not like the grain free foods because of the link between grain free food and cardiomyopathy in dogs. Mittens, my kitty who gets the early care kidney diet does so because of her slightly elevated SDMA. I kind of gave up on trying to match the flavor of that food with a non rx food, and am giving the other two a non rx Hills formula diet. Thank you for your input.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's good that you trust your vet so implicitly! So, I guess I am wondering why you are asking for comments/thoughts from an outside source since you have so much trust in your vet and her advice? If you believe her as you seem to, then go with what she says.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is not a discussion, for me, about my vet. I wanted to find a diet that might taste similar to the Proplan early care kidney diet. I did what research I could on line, and also called Purina. It is very difficult. Kidney diets are very different in ingredients, apparently, from other diets. And there are literally thousands of products out there. So I gave up and just ordered what I guessed was a good basic food from Chewy, because the choices are overwhelming. I did not ask my vet what foods might taste similar to the Proplan early care, because she would not know. I dont think any vet would know. Too many choices. Someone here said she had her cats on a urinary care diet, and I thought about that.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you're feeding wet food, that's easily mixed. If I were in your situation, I would try using a tiny bit (1/2 tsp-1 tsp) of the kidney care diet into the regular food (mixed or as a topper) and see how he likes it.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, thank you, that is what I have been doing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is not a discussion, for me, about my vet. I did not ask my vet what foods might taste similar to the Proplan early care, because she would not know. I dont think any vet would know.
No one here knows what tastes similar, any more than your vet. And. because cats are all different, what one may like doesn't mean another will.

All I was suggesting is that you ask her if it is OK to feed all of your cats the same thing since they like it. If she says it is OK, then you know that you are not posing any issues to the other cats. However, if your goal is to find less expensive foods for your other cats, then she should be able to help you with that too.

She appears to be well versed in the prescription foods, so I would think her interest/knowledge extends into those that are non-prescription as well. If she isn't, then you need to do what all of us have to do, compare foods, and get as close as possible to what you think might work, and experiment - which it appears you are doing.

Last edited: