One Of My 4 Week Old Kittens Isn't Eating. What Should I Do?

Love_Candy589

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of the cats that live around my house gave birth recently, but unlike most of the other cats, left them on the floor of the shed outside my house where we could access them. We had No idea they were there until about a week after the birth when I heard them and went to investigate. As soon as I found them I put a blanket under them and cleaned up the area around them a bit. There were 4 kittens there and I had found out that there were older (Around 4-5 weeks at the time) kittens as well. The mother cat (Who we called Danny before we realized she was a girl) didn't mind, though she wouldn't come near us unless we had food.
When they reached 4 weeks I got a bit of wet food and offered it to them, but Danny ate it before they could try it. The next day, I got a little bit of cod and tried to feed it to the while Danny was away. They loved it and ate it all, but the next time I tried to introduce them to wet food, and one of the kittens, Boo, refused to eat it. She (I think it's she) was much more interested in exploring and playing with me. Anytime I've tried again she just hasn't been interested. Is this normal, or should I be worried she isn't smaller than the others, but I'm still concerned.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She has still access to momma, right? If not, this would be worrisome.
As she has access to momma and is surely nursing, this isnt that dramatic.
The others are simply naturals, girlie here is a bit slower. She will catch sooner or later, seeing her siblings eat with good appetite.

The only problem is, when they begin to eat real food, their poo changes, and momma doesnt wants any longer to eat up the poo. So you must prepare a litter for them. Non clumping cat litter.

On the other side, are you planning to take the kittens in for fostering? Ie giving them a life of fully socialized young cats, easy to find adoption homes for?
It will be time soon.
With shy semiferales, we take them earlier than the otherwise holy minimum 8+ weeks - easier to catch and much easier to foster.

Are you planning to spay the momma? Somebodey of us can surely find some cheap spaying clinc for you if you need this help.

Interesting are these older kittens. Whom are they? Another momma, or are they Dannys fosters? Perhaps even her biological kittens? It does happens a cat has two litters simultaneously, born 3 weeks apart. Not common, but not totally unique either. My ex neigbhour had a cat from such a second litter...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Love_Candy589

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, she can still access her mother. We are planning to spay their mother, but we're not sure how long we should wait.
The older kittens actually seem to be a different cats kittens because they follow the other cat around a lot and I saw the other cat nursing them around a lot.
We will get a litter tray for them and try to encourage them to use it. We go out to them around twice a day so hopefully they won't be too scared of humans.
Thanks that was really helpful.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ll need to put out wet and dry food at least twice a day to feed all the cats.

Do you live on a farm?

Can you begin to get the cats spayed and neutered? This could get out of control in a hurry if these cats continue to breed.

Would you like help finding a low-cost spay and neuter clinic in your area? If so, give your city and state.

As for the runt, do try to hand feed it to help it along.