One Kitty Is On The Mend And Now My Other Kitty Is Sick.

leahnicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:sniffle:My big boy, who is around 10 years old, was having trouble pooping in the litter box yesterday. I watched him and when he was done, he had left some liquid with a full red jelly like balls and one tiny red poo. Now he is not eating at all. This is very unusual because my kitty is like a black hole...he will eat anything! I have tried wet food, dry food, treats and even cheese and bologna. He just sniffs it. He did, however, lick a little of the wet food and that was it. He is still drinking his water, which at least he is doing that. My other kitty was very sick last week, with diarrhea and worms. That bill took most of my check, so I won't be paid again until the 13th. I hate waiting that long before I can take him in. Any suggestions as to what might be causing him to be sick are welcome. I am trying to get a small loan to take him in sooner, my vet will not accept payments. I hate seeing him not feel well. :sniffle:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This, unfortunately, is a vet visit - like as soon as possible as that sounds like blood in the stool. (Not a vet though) Sooner the better. IMHO.

How do his anal glands look?
Is the poop hard - you mentioned having trouble so I'm assuming constipation.
Could he have eaten something that blocked him?
How is his water intake?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leahnicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was trying hard to poo and the only thing that came out was the little red poo and it looked mushy. He is still drinking water, he loves water from the faucet, so anytime I go into the bathroom he hops up on the sink to drink.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good that he's still drinking water and his usual self. :-)

If the other kitty had worms - this kitty could have worms too. Blood, which really is what that sounds like, is cause for concern. I don't want to tell you that as I know how hard things can be finacially when things go wrong - I had three go wrong literally 1 per month for three months straight and multiple vet visits for each - so I totally understand the restraints - but kitty needs the doctor. :-(

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:-)

Yes, thank you to your friend! YAY!

Please do keep us posted on how you are all doing. *hugs*
Sending the three of you great vibes for a quick and easy recovery! :vibes::heartshape:

PS There is a thread with a list of things to help with the appetite until then. I can link it. Gimme a sec.

Edit to add:

Okay this is the most comprehensive list of things to try when a kitty won't eat. Load of options that @Furballsmom gathered for me when my Charlie wouldn't eat.

Charlie: The Food Trial Diaries (ibd / Food Allergy (sensitivity) Or Stress)

Maybe something on there will strike his fancy?

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please come back and update us once you see the vet! So many people don't and then we're left wondering.

Best of luck to you cats! They are super lucky to have such a great custodian.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am glad you are finding a way to take your guy to the vet!! You might help speed up the process by taking a stool sample into the vet before the actual appointment. That way they could do a full fecal PCR test (looks not only for parasites, but bacteria as well) and see if that would tell them anything ahead of the appointment. Just call and ask your vet if they accept stool samples you would bring in. If they do, just scoop up the stool - litter and all - bag it, refrigerate until you can take it to them. I believe the stool is viable for testing up to 24 hours after collection, if refrigerated.

I just went through something similar with Feeby (15+ yo) - turned out it was an issue with one of her foods. Nothing showed up in her stool, and I took her completely off that food. After 4-5 days, the stool firmed up. At the time, she only had one bout with an actual drip or two of blood and a couple of times with a reddish discharge while trying to poop. In her case, once she was a couple of hours away from each incident, she was over being upset about it and ate.

Please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leahnicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Sully is going to be okay! He has worms. He has lost about 1 pound and a half and some muscle mass. :bawling: he will have to take some meds for about a week. He actually ate a little something totoday so that's good! I wanted to update all of you. Thank you so much for all of your kind words and suggestionsuggestions. :heartshape: