One infection to another, I am freaking out

Senewma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been through the emotional wringer, my anxiety has never been so high. Winston Churchill went to the vet 2 weeks ago, had ear/yeast infection. Given wash for 2/daily.

About halfway through he became lethargic, sneezing, runny nose, behavior changes like won’t sleep with me, doesn’t want to cuddle.
Back to the vet today bc diarrhea started yesterday AM. Most yeast is gone but ear infection is now bacterial. To hopefully minimize stress, Winston got the ointment placed by the vet today (good for 7 days) and we return in7 days for another application.

The vet thinks his sneezing,runny nose, lethargy (I think it’s included) and odd behavior could be from a herpes flare up (I adopted him as an adult, I don’t know if he ever had herpes?!) from stress , and gave me lysine gel 2/daily. She said many kitty parents are calling reporting sneezing and runny nose From the WFH stress.

she gave me a paste + powder probiotic for the diarrhea, 2/day.
Also, I pointed out a new red mark on the inside of his nose, she Called it an ulcer and was hoping he gave it to himself from scratching or when I was wrangling him for ear wash. Vet also is concerned about dehydration and asked if I wanted to do blood panel and xrays.

I am so overwhelmed, he is my First animal and he has never been this out of sorts before, I cry and cry, I can’t eat, I can’t focus on my job, I live alone with him so I can’t escape over analyzing and worrying. I literally love my cat more than anything in the world and my brain can’t stop spinning around what if all these supplements don’t help...what do I do then. I’d give anything for him to be the way he was just a few weeks ago, my cuddly baby. Sorry this is so long, it has been a rough day. I should get the blood panel, yes? Any other words of wisdom on how I can handle this situation without worrying or crying myself to death?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Any other words of wisdom on how I can handle this situation without worrying or crying myself to death?
Hi! Worrying is one thing. We all do - at the very least these are lives that are in our care. At the most, they're our best friends.

However, drink chamomile tea, exercise, meditate, whatever you need to do in order to get a handle on things. He is a sponge for your emotions and emoting like this is bad for him, plus you need to have your wits about you so that you can ask questions and think things through.

Talk more to your vet about the blood panel and what its purpose is, and what she's thinking regarding xrays.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Senewma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Worrying is one thing. We all do - at the very least these are lives that are in our care. At the most, they're our best friends.

However, drink chamomile tea, exercise, meditate, whatever you need to do in order to get a handle on things. He is a sponge for your emotions and emoting like this is bad for him, plus you need to have your wits about you so that you can ask questions and think things through.

Talk more to your vet about the blood panel and what its purpose is, and what she's thinking regarding xrays.
Thank you for the reply. I like black cats too...You’d like my guy, he’s a tuxedo :)

Senewma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To clarify, the blood panel was to look for things like metabolic disorders, kidney function. She didn’t feel anything on physical examination requiring X-ray, so I’m not sure what That would be looking for. I am to monitor how his behavior changes while on the lysine and feliway diffusers I got him, if there is no change by next week I believe blood tests should be run.
For anyone with experience with herpes/stress/lysine, would a week be long enough to hope for a change in his behavior? I don’t want to put it off If there is something more serious going.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh by the way, about the stress part, try cat music. There's Spotify, youtube, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats as sources you could look into :)

Senewma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh by the way, about the stress part, try cat music. There's Spotify, youtube, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats as sources you could look into :)
Thank you :) I was playing classical today but didn’t know there was music geared toward cats!

Senewma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m also so sad right now, I tried holding him and cuddling him and singing songs like I normally would, for the past 2 nights he has stopped sleeping in my bed with me, right on my pillow. He has gone under the bed, which tears me to bits. I just gave him a snack and carried him to bed with me as I normally would, he sat there for a couple mins and hopped off and went under the bed. I’m gutted. He has slept right next to me for 7 years. And now, after treating him for an ear infection...all these other symptoms have occurred and he won’t sleep with me anymore. Why is this happening?!

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m also so sad right now, I tried holding him and cuddling him and singing songs like I normally would, for the past 2 nights he has stopped sleeping in my bed with me, right on my pillow. He has gone under the bed, which tears me to bits. I just gave him a snack and carried him to bed with me as I normally would, he sat there for a couple mins and hopped off and went under the bed. I’m gutted. He has slept right next to me for 7 years. And now, after treating him for an ear infection...all these other symptoms have occurred and he won’t sleep with me anymore. Why is this happening?!
Cats often hide when they don’t feel 100% - give him some space, he’ll feel better and get back to cuddling

Senewma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you had a chance to tell your vet that he's not improving?
Yes I spoke with her today, we agreed when we go in next week for the second application of the ear medication, A full blood panel would be done. I know it is what needs to be done but now I will be overcome with worry until 1) it gets done 2) the results come back.

any idea how long it takes to get results from bloodwork, anyone?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very common for kitties to get an upper respiratory infection from the stress of going to the vet. I would ask the vet for an antibiotic to help since he's obviously not feeling well. It doesn't take long at all to get blood labs back, usually less than an hour.