One-eyed Terror

lindsaygirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought home a new kitty in mid March from the shelter. She was brought in with 30 other cats and 15 dogs. She had to have her eye removed because it got scratched, became infected, and was impeding her vision. The vet estimated she was about 3- she was pregnant when they spayed her, too :^(

I have 3 other cats, 15, 10, and 4. The youngest one, Dottie, is terrified of her. We did the whole separation thing when we got her, introduced them slowly, and they kid on all got over each other, even though it took a lot longer than I thought it would. In fact, the younger two don't even come upstairs anymore because she has chased them back downstairs. The oldest, Winnie, doesn't really give a crap, and has definitely exerted herself as Alpha-kitty.

The new kitty, Eyevie, doesn't even care about the older 2, but will still go after Dottie if she tries to come upstairs, is upstairs in the bedroom with one of us (we bring her up and shut Eyevie out sometimes) and will even chase her sometimes when she goes downstairs and spots Dottie. I bought some "Bully" and "Safe Space" spray by Jackson Galaxy, and I still can't tell if it helps or not. It might be a mind thing more so for me then the kitties.

Eyevie is smart. When she does chase Dottie, I tell her "NO" in a loud voice. I snap my fingers and tell her to go upstairs, and she will. I don't hit or spray her her when she does it. I don't know why she does it just to Dottie, or what I can do to get Eyevie to stop chasing her (short of calling Jackson Galaxy himself) Dottie is not herself any more. It pains me to know that I did this to her. My husband thought we should find one of them a new home, but I just can't do that because I have no idea what kind of situation they would wind up in. My mom says they are they in the best spot now because they are both loved and well cared for.
What can I do to modify her behavior so Dottie does run or jump on the counter when Eyevie comes around?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dottie will eventually assert herself in the household. There are big changes and it may take a year before everything is sorted out, that is how long it took mine to get along better. Three or four months is not long at all in a cat's world. Give Dottie special attention so she doesn't feel so threatened. She has to have a high place to escape to that she can defend from the scary intruder, like a bed on top of the fridge, this is temporary until everyone gets sorted out. Eyevie is trying to establish herself in the household and is going through huge changes too, she is most likely used to being chased and abused herself. She is so used to fighting for every scrap she receives it will take a while to change. She has been through so much, you are an angel to help her. Bless you and your husband for your patience, I truly believe everything will get better with time.
Get a 'kickeroo' on Amazon, and throw it towards Eyevie if she starts to look threatening towards Dottie. It releaves excess energy and will distract her. Telling her NO and banishing her for a time out helps too, it sets limits. Dottie has to learn not to run, it invites chasing and the only way she can do this is have a safe place to go. As long as the chasing is confined to just that, and maybe a tussle and yowling, and doesn't result in outright bloody scratches and bites, everything sounds pretty normal. Maybe you could put both in separate carriers and set them a little distance from each other for an hour or so, it may force them to get used to each other and become friends because both are in 'jail' together.I wish you well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindsaygirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That was some great advice! Thank you! I realize my writing was all over the place when I reread what I had, so thank you! These little ladies just need some more time.
Eyevie is very clingy to me. I think she thinks she is my protector. Her self confidence has gotten much better, but at the expense of Dottie's. I just ordered some more Feliaway since that seemed to help mellow her out.
I've seen the Kickaroos. They're great! We have some new toys to keep the girls busy, but I'll look at getting one of those, too!
Thanks

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lindsaygirl

Take heart for peace (or at least lack of war) can reign among the kitties.

The two pictured below are getting along better after about ten months.

Of war, or at least strained peace.

IMG_2676.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindsaygirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's awesome. I will keep the faith!
Thank you!