One Day Old Kitten Help!!

shantronkantron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

My cat had two kittens late last night and another after I fell asleep. Upon waking up, the last born unfortunately passed away.

The second born seems to be doing fine however, the first born is not. This kitten is way smaller and will not feed.

After a couple of hours, I went and purchased KMR. I've been attempting to feed her, but I am unsure how much she's getting or if she is thriving at all.

Also, I was checking on momma and I noticed that only one nipple has milk that will come out. This is one of her middle ones. The two on her lower abdomen seem engorged and hard. Is there a way to help her release the milk? Or is there something more serious happening.
Please help and thanks!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Use a warm, damp compress on mom's nipples. Once you soften them you can gently squeeze to see if anything comes out. It can take a couple of days for full milk to come in. Kittens first get colostrum.

Feed the baby with a tiny syringe, not a bottle. Feed tummy down, head up, drop by drop hourly, about 1 mL each time. Be sure the baby is warm enough.

I hope the kittens make it!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

shantronkantron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I do not have a syringe handy. I was told I could use a make-up sponge(never been used) how can I correctly confirm the amount the kitten is getting?

shantronkantron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think she's going to make it... Ive provided food. She's so much more listless this morning and she won't close her mouth.

shantronkantron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel like I'm giving up. Is there anything I can do???

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I feel like I'm giving up. Is there anything I can do???]
If she is dying, no.  [], just make comfortable and warm , give love  be near and pray.  This way you will at least save her soul, and yours soul. It will be much weeping but it feel better in the long run.

If you want to try and fight on, be sure she is warm - ie use some sort of heating pad as she herself cant keep up her own temp, not even wrapped up in towels..

Make a liquid of sweet honey water, and smear on her mouth and gum.  Let her swallow if she manages.  The dextrose in honey doesnt need to be digested, its absorbs directly from the mouth, and the stomach...

It wont save her if she is dying for real, but may buy you time for surviving process to start.

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

I feel like I'm giving up. Is there anything I can do???]
If she is dying, no.  [], just make comfortable and warm , give love  be near and pray.  This way you will at least save her soul, and yours soul. It will be much weeping but it feel better in the long run.

If you want to try and fight on, be sure she is warm - ie use some sort of heating pad as she herself cant keep up her own temp, not even wrapped up in towels..

Make a liquid of sweet honey water, and smear on her mouth and gum.  Let her swallow if she manages.  The dextrose in honey doesnt need to be digested, its absorbs directly from the mouth, and the stomach...

It wont save her if she is dying for real, but may buy you time for surviving process to start.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

shantronkantron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I cannot find a vet to help. Does anyone know of a 24 hour vet or hospital in the Saint Louis, Mo area?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
if you go to google maps and type in St Louis and vet critical care there should be a map that comes up with the names of the businesses. or emergency vet or other type wording. I panned out on the city and got more options. most have websites-a few are phone numbers only.

shantronkantron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i thought she was doing better. But she just left in my hands while I was feeding her. I'm so emotional I feel like I killed her. [emoji]128557[/emoji]

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i thought she was doing better. But she just left in my hands while I was feeding her. I'm so emotional I feel like I killed her. [emoji]128557[/emoji]
I am so sorry. You did not kill the kitten. What you did was show the kitten a huge amount of love before it passed. Sounds like momma's pregnancy was compromised & she was not able to bear a healthy litter. Please have her spayed in about 8 weeks time so she doesn't have to go through this again.

How is the surviving kitten doing? Do you have some photos of it with momma?