One cat with intussusception, one with suspected case

eva21513

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't believe I'm writing this post.

As background, my cats are both indoor cats - both spayed females, one is 3 and one is 13 months old. They never throw up - I mean it's happened exactly once in the past year...before a few days ago.

That's when I noticed that one cat was throwing up. They were both acting normally so it took me a while to figure out who it was - the 3-year-old, Millie. When she started refusing food, I took her to the vet and got a CT scan, which showed intussusception. The cost estimate was $7k-$10k. Luckily, I have pet insurance, but even though I have a $250 deductible and 90% coverage, my portion was $3,460. That's more than 2 months of rent for me, but I paid it and just brought her home today after a few days in the hospital.

Now my other cat has started throwing up. The vet says just to watch it for now, but that it could also be intussusception, if they both somehow got a parasite. I'm terrified because I literally can't spend another $3,460 - I don't have it, not anywhere, and I can't get approved for CareCredit. Are there any other options?? I love Maisy so much and Millie loves her too and they're so sweet together, I don't want her to die, I don't want her to suffer, but I just can't pay $7k in a matter of days. It's impossible. Does anyone know of any alternatives?? Has this happened to anyone else?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried looking for a veterinary school near you? They may be willing to help in order to teach students what to do. A Humane Society if there is one near you. I don’t know where you are but call around immediately. Call every vet and rescue groups you can find and explain the situation and ask for any help or lead they can provide! You may be able to raise funds through “Go Fund Me” , “Facebook” or “Instagram.” Tell their story and post the beautiful kitties to appeal to every heart. Many people have found help that way. If you go that route, tell the vet you are raising the money. Perhaps they will go ahead and treat her.Also, there are places online where you can Google “Financial help for vet care”. These days it is preferable for people to keep their pets rather than give them up to shelters or other places because they cannot afford vet care. Not that you would do that but some people do. Look at vet care for low incomes too. Not that you are but you might qualify for something you have not thought of since many programs have been trying to help in this area. Don’t give up. Hope is out there. Just look hard! Please keep us updated. One last thought, ask the vet about alternative treatments. :alright:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do check into the above, but the chances that it is intussusception are really unlikely. Even if they both had parasites, they don't normally cause this. It's pretty rare. Cats get worms quite often, but they don't get intussusception that often. I'm wondering if Maisy might be throwing up simply because you are stressed out about Millie and because Millie has been away, etc. Cats are so very sensitive and she is probably picking up on everything that is happening around her. Did your Vet give you any anti nausea medication for Maisy? If not, try feeding her some bland food for a few days to see if that helps. Plain poached chicken would work, if she'll eat it. or baby food that doesn't contain any onions or garlic - chicken, turkey, beef or ham in those little bitty jars.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello. Hopefully this will make sense since I’m doing this talk to text thing because I’m driving. I saw your post though reply. So honestly it seems pretty far-fetched that both cats would have The same thing. Did the Vet happen to mention what parasite he’s talking about? I mean honestly wouldn’t that be checked for doing this Allison? Or I guess more than that since you’re Sherance cover some of it.

I would be interested in knowing what that is so please ask them. I think for now just keep an eye on the cat that is vomiting. Like your vet suggested. Had you switched foods? What food do you feed? Is there anything that changed in your house? Any new cleaners or air fresheners or plants? Are your cats indoors only? Do they ever go out? Do you have any other animals?

So basically for now don’t worry about the things you can’t control and don’t stress over something that hasn’t happened yet. Right now it seems like you have One cat that’s recovering. And you have one cat that is vomiting. When you say the other cat is vomiting how much vomiting are we talking here? When he does I’ll? Is he still eating? How old are your cats?