One cat with gas, other vomiting...

Artistwolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m very much struggling with my cats and food. I have them on a half wet food, half dry food diet. Wet food currently consists of Applaus and American Journey—basically whatever they’ll eat that I can find on sale. I don’t think that’s causing any issues—of course, Pepper (my skinnier cat) doesn’t touch the wet food most of the time, so I think Salt eats the majority of it. I give them either two 3-oz cans to share, or one 5.5 oz can to share. Desperate bowls and all, of course.

And now for dry food.. they’re fed a certain amount per day with my automatic feeder, not sure how much since that’s measured oddly on that device. Either way, they usually don’t finish it all, so I don’t think overeating is a problem. Both cats are very active and not overweight, despite being around 13 pounds each. Pepper’s a little taller but slimmer than Salt, who is maybe a bit pudgy but not fat.
Recently it’s come to my attention that Pepper’s been throwing up quite a bit. Usually it’s just a lot of the dry food, so I figured I probably need to change what I’m feeding him. I had quite recently (well, like, a month ago) put them on Solid Gold Indigo Moon High Protein cat food, before which they were on Purina LiveClear (which they loved, but I’m not sure how healthy that one is for them; it’s got some filler ingredients, I believe, which concerned me a bit). Pepper occasionally threw up on the Purina, but he’s gotten worse on the Solid Gold (almost every night—always happens at night/evenings, which is not when they get fed their dry food. So that’s odd). Also, Salt has been a liiittle bit more gassy on this food, although not terrible so.
So I went off to Petco in search of a different awesome food, and bought Merrick Backcountry dry food. Started transitioning them to that food last night, and today Salt’s very gassy (although still very active and cheerful). Obviously it’s not fun to be around a cat who smells bad all the time.
So I’m feeling a little stuck. I’ve got one cat that needs a diet that won’t make him sick, but when I switch to a better one for him, Salt gets a bit gassy. Is this just trial and error, or is there a tried-and-tested response to this? Is there anything I’m doing wrong? I’m thinking a vet checkup may be in order just to check that nothing is going on there... should I maybe treat them for worms or something in the meantime, just in case? Help!
Thank you guys!!

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m thinking a vet checkup may be in order just to check that nothing is going on there...
Hi!
If you can get them in to a vet, that might be a good thing especially for Pepper. Don't treat them for anything until the vet has a chance to see them, unless you're actually seeing worms.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many cats get digestive issues when transitions to a new food, particularly dry food. When you said you started the transition last night, how much of the new food did you give them? Since Salt already is showing signs of more gassiness, I would only give them about 10% new food with 90% old food and hold steady at that rate for a few days and see what happens. If there isn't any diarrhea or even MORE gas, then I would think it's ok to up the new food just a bit, maybe 20% new and 80% old and see how they handle it. And so on.

Also, if Pepper is vomiting almost every single night now, I am more concerned about that. Is the main protein in the Solid Gold the same as it was in the Purina? I'm wondering if he has a food sensitivity? Anyway, sounds like a Vet discussion is most likely a good idea. You might be able to get away with just a fecal for Salt, but Pepper probably needs a full exam. During Covid Vet's are handling things differently, so give them a call and see if they might consider doing that.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Try transitioning in the morning. Evening is when the start to digest thier food. Does Peppwr through up soon after eating or late night when you're in bed. Is there an different ingredient in the canned and dry? The gassy smell from salt could be the dry food

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to be quick here but just wanted to say that I'm not sure which Merrick Backcountry food you bought but the "game bird" food ingredients include potatoes and peas. One of our cats gets gassy if she eats potato. (We were fortunate to figure this out early! She hasn't had potato in years now.) And peas are legumes, which can make any of us gassy. Neither of those ingredients is really something that should be in a cat's diet -- they're big-time carnivores! If you need to feed a dry food, Dr. Elsey's chicken doesn't have any carby fillers like those. Our cats love it as a topper, treat, and snack.

Good luck!