one cat loves me, other one is indifferent

BBirdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
have had kittens (5-6 months old?) for about a month and a half so far. at first kitten A was very friendly towards me and kitten B was a major scaredy cat. After a few weeks both kittens were very sweet and friendly with me.

The turning point seemed to be when we introduced a vacuum cleaner. Kitten A was terrified and hid under the couch, while kitten B didnt seem to mind at all and from then on for whatever reason was very confident.

We then had to bring the kittens to the vet for shots. It was a major struggle and kitten A ended up leaving bloody scratches over another family member of mien but we eventually got both of them in. On the way to the vet as I was in the back soothing them, Kitten A looked at me very upset with a look like I betrayed her. It took her about 3 days to "recover" from the shots as she hid under the couch and didnt want to eat, but now seems perfectly normal in that respect.

Behavior wise though, Kitten B (like w the vacuum cleaner) has been fine and constantly jumps on my lap sniffing my head/ear/etc and purring and meowing when it wants attention. Kitten A though has changed. She only hops on my lap for snacks and never stays for very long and have barely heard her purring.

Before the vet visit Kitten A would always sit in my lap and just stare at me lovingly. That has not happened since the vet visit 2.5 weeks later.

I wonder if it's possible kitten B has, "claimed me" so kitten A isn't as loving with me, or it could be something else? I just feel bad but other than Kitten A not being as loving towards me as before, she is very happy playing with kitten B and eating nice meals.

What can I do? Playing with her works out great but I just wish I knew what happened.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since she can't talk, it's impossible to know what caused the change in kitten A's behaviour, though it does seem like it might be related to the stressful vet visit. It could also just be a phase she's going through, and will one day become a lap cat again.

One thing you could try, is putting a blanket or throw on your lap. I know my Ruby is more apt to cuddle on my lap in the winter time when I've got a throw over my legs, than in the warmer months when I'm just wearing jeans.

TCS also has this article that might have a helpful tip for you: 14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And give her time. Cats do have a fairly long memory. While they do not actually hold grudges, they do remember things like an unpleasant trip to the vet. The techniques in the article that rubysmama rubysmama should help you regain her complete trust again. It will happen, but may take some more time! The first time Hek went to the vet, it took almost a month for her to be really comfortable with me again.