One Cat Chasing Another?

nobodyzhome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a concern with two of my cats. Yín, the aggressor, is small, 2 years old, and spayed. She'll tolerate one of the senior cats we have in the house, but not the other and is also aggresive to him. Artemis is a larger, 3 years old and neutered, but only later in life as he was a rescue. He is very sweet and has never showed signs of aggression to any of the others. We've had Yín since birth but Arty for a couple years and she keeps chasing him under furniture while hissing. She'll guard the spot he's at until we make her leave. Arty had started marking territory but since we separated them, he's been fine. I've been slowly getting them used to eating together and they're fine that way and Yín will just walk away when finished and Arty isn't afraid of her, but any other time it's back to her chasing him. Is there anything else I can try to see if she'll tolerate him?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm just going to second rubysmama rubysmama 's suggestions, as she has already given you the links to the articles that came to mind as I read your post. Just be aware that this will take time. You have to let the cats dictate the schedule, so be patient!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know how things progress. This really is a community, and we tend to fret about things until we know all is well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nobodyzhome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Small update on Arty and Yín:

They're beggining to play in a friendly manner, no hissing or ugly words. They'll almost play tag back and forth now, Arty wilk pounce at Yín, then she'll jump at him. They're fine for a little while, but Yín will let him now when she's done and he usually backs off now. They're learning just to sit quietly near each other, which is something Arty had trouble with before and I think that irritated Yín. Here they're just chilling in our little outdoor enclosure, Arty looking back and Yín the little black lump on the shelf above.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:bunnydance: We have FAMILY! Yeah, there will always be the occasional mild spat. That's just part of being part of a family and nothing to worry about. You did very well, indeed!