One Angel...one devil. HELP!!!!

athegaylouise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay maybe "devil" is too harsh of word, but my 5 month old kitten Dallas is seriously a handful! 

I know how rambunctious that kittens are and I make sure to play with him constantly to work out his energy, but this cat is always getting into something. 

I can't even get through one episode on netflix without have to redirect Dallas from bad behavior at least 3 times. He gets into trash cans and tries to knock them over or tear through the bags. When I'm eating he will get all up in my grill and I try to be persistent and put him back on the ground, but within seconds he is back up and trying to get at my plate. It even gets so bad sometimes that I have to put him in his crate while I'm eating. 

I know that cats don't respond well to negative discipline so I haven't used any sort of shaker or spray bottle, but I'm at my wits end right now. I seriously love him to death, but he is SO BAD sometimes. 

His biting is also an issue. I try to redirect him with toys, laser lights, or treats, but biting hands and arms seems to appeal to him more.

One minute he is calmly cuddled up with me being sweet, and the next thing I know he is chomping down on my arm trying to play.

I have a 2 year old cat Blair who I raised from birth and she was NEVER like this. Her and Dallas play together and get along great, but she is just so much more well behaved. I could literally set down a plate of my food in front of her and she wouldn't touch it. 

Anyone have any ideas on how to tame down this crazy kitten? I don't mind his playfulness, but having to be on guard every second to make sure he doesn't get into anything, break things or shred toilet paper is getting a bit exhausting. 

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Time outs. They are a wonderful thing. 

If he gets too out of control biting you, stealing your food, whatever- time out. No attention, not even negative attention, when he's being bad. Don't feel bad when you hear those pathetic little meows for attention. 

Do keep up with playing with him as much as possible though. 

lykakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have this exact problem with Aria. She's a complete handful and possibly the most stubborn animal I've ever met. What CinqChats said works, really. Aria gets a timeout if she gets too persistent about stealing food or playing rough and she gets totally ignored until either we're done eating or she's settled down a litle. It's worked pretty well for us so far, she's definitely getting better, it just goes slow. Another part of the problem is that she's teething, and she's also 5 months so that could be a part of your biting problem as well. We've gotten Aria to tone down biting us by giving her a frozen toy to chew on. It seems to keep her entertained and make her gums feel better.