Ondansetron Injections for cat....

kittybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I am wondering if anyone here has been given Ondansetron to give their cat who was diagnosed with kidney disease and has not been eating?? I can't find anything about it helping with appetite in cats. They told me because his values are high, he is likely nauseated so this will help with both. Well it's been almost an hour and a half since I injected him, and he still is not eating
Did they give me the right stuff??

Any help is appreciated.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't used that, but I did give Callie Pepcid to help settle her tummy. Are you giving fluids, too? Have you tried feeding Fancy Feast or plain meat baby food?

bravey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We gave Ondansetron to our dog when he was not eating, but our vet has our cat on “liquid” Mirtazapine. It’s bitter and he hates me squirting it down his throat, so we’re going to try the marshmallow flavor. Anyway, it’s a human anti-depressant that stimulates your cats appetite, not kidding. About 1/2 hour after his dose, he’s eating, eating, eating! It’s suggested that they have it twice a week. It does change his personality for about a day. He seems more agitated, not mean, just not quite sure what to do with himself. It’s more of an upper than a downer for him. He’s also much more vocal for about a day. Without it, he wouldn’t still be with us. He’s 14 and has Kidney problems and I don’t know what all else. There’s only so much that can be done, & running him back and forth to the vet is not something that can really save him. He’s on liquid prednisolone and Mirtazapine.....forever! Also, we hydrate him a couple of times a week. It should be every other day, but we’re not quite ready for that torture yet. You should look up the Mirtazapine. I think you’ll find it’s what you need.

Hope this helped!