Once a bully, always a bully?

faded

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, a newcomer to the forums here! :) I'm worried, and I need your input to put my mind at ease.

My concern is about the relationship between my 1-year-old oriental shorthair, Nanna (female), and a new addition, 5-month-old Sulo (male, also OSH).

Like a typical oriental, Nanna is energetic, super active and a little clingy. She need a lot of attention and a LOT of playtime. I've done my best to play with her a lot daily and offering her plenty of toys and perches, but it simply doesn't seem to cut it! Whenever I'd sit down to do some work, she'd start wandering around and yowling for my attention.

Naturally I thought a cat friend could ease her boredom, so two weeks ago I found a kitten of the same breed to match her personality and energy levels, a brave little boy, Sulo. I started the introduction slowly, giving Sulo his own "safe room" with everything he needs, and allowing the two cats to sniff each other under the door and eventually from both sides of a cracked door, switching rooms every now and then.

Nanna's reactions were very aggressive from the start, with a lot of hissing, growling and attempted swatting.

After a week and a half the hissing and growling stopped enough for me to see how the two would fare face to face. The little boy was brave and curious, eager to make friends despite the cold welcome. Nanna took an approach I didn't expect; Instead of directly challenging the kitten, she started stalking him around the house, following him and never letting him leave her sight. Whenever the opportunity arises, she'll charge at Sulo; she doesn't even always swat him, but it seems as if she wants to intimidate and startle him. Sulo has become wary of Nanna, not daring to approach me if Nanna is between us. I can distract Sulo with a toy, but there is no distracting Nanna; whenever Sulo is out of his safe room, all of her energy goes into staring at and stalking him.

When they're both free, Nanna often chases the kitten around the house, but I am not sure if this is aggressive or not. There is no puffed tails, hissing, growling, or flattened ears. There is some mad tail swishing, though. Sulo sometimes swats back, but Nanna seems to always be the aggressor, a bit of a "bully". I often break the fight up just in case, without really knowing if it was necessary or not.

Even though the little one is being bullied, Nanna is clearly the one who is more stressed out, being less affectionate and playful than prior to Sulo moving in. Even when Sulo is locked away in the other room, Nanna can't seem to properly relax. It's very likely she's jealous, but she doesn't really want my affection when Sulo is around.

I'd really like the two to get along as friends, and not simply tolerate each other, as I got a second cat specifically to keep company to Nanna!

Should I be worried yet? Will the "bullying" eventually end? Or would Nanna be happier as the only cat, after all?

Thanks in advance! Let me know if there's more information I could provide. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two week sis not very long in 'cat introductions', I would say it will take at least a few months for them to relax. I too, have an oriental mix that is highly 'excitable' and demands a lot of attention. He jumps on my poor older cat and likes to terrorize him. I have to break them up sometimes. They have been together 4 years! Nanna may be just a bossy female like my Chrissy was, she enjoyed keeping the boys in line.  I think Nanna will eventually accept him, after-all, she's not that old herself, it will just take time and patience. Don't let her bully him, but let them go at their own pace. Good luck!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Sulo is new and wanting to make friends but Nanna has had her home invaded by some new cat that she did not invite in so it is not urprising that she is stalking him when they are in the same space, or that he seems more keen to be around her than she him.  As @Di and Bob have said, 2 weeks is not that long.  To some degree you have to let your cats work their relationship out between themselves but intervene if one or other of them is being hurt.  Be prepared to break up any serious fights, otherwise keep watch and do not let them have unsupervised time together until you are sure of how they are relating to each other.  You do not want to give either cat significanly more attention than the other to compensate for anything you feel is going on as this can cause further problems.

You may want to extend the seperation time and scent swapping, or simply control the time they have together to see if things seem to become more relaxed over time.  I do not think your cat is bullying, but working out her relationship with this young cat that has come in to her space in the way that most cats do.

There are a couple of useful articles on the site including one which you may have already read about introducing cats to each other, and another on breaking up fights.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/breaking-up-cat-fights

I hope you see things settle down soon and you can all relax around your home.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From my current experience, a week and a half of separation time may not be enough.  My situation is slightly different because I'm re-introducing two sisters after a couple of super aggressive redirected episodes (strange cat outside).  They were both put on Prozac and continue on small dose every other day.

I separated my cats before Thanksgiving and I only just allow them to be together--supervised, this weekend.  They have had a couple of scuffles and one running charge, which I stopped in time.  Like you, I also wonder how much I should let them work things out.  When I'm out or asleep, they go back to separation mode.  I intend for this arrangement to continue for at least a month or two.  If they still show signs of tension and scuffle a bit, I won't leave them alone together.  

shaheena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could try to help her relax with Feliway diffusers in each room or a pheromone collar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faded

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your replies, everyone. :)

I am using a Feliway diffuser and spray, but I am not sure if it has made a difference. At least it won't do any harm.

Keeping the two separate can be a little challenging, as both fare very poorly alone and there's only one of me - as soon as I one is left alone, the lone cat starts yowling. :( It breaks my heart. I try to be with both cats equally, but still. Should I just let the cat meow?

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay little Sulo is wanting to be accepted but its good that occasionally he is standing up for himself and swatting back. 2 weeks really isn't all that long poor Nanna has had her territory encroached on by a young tom. Is Sulo neutered as if he's not when the testosterone really starts to kick in he may pester Nanna quite badly! Separating them again may be a good idea and re do the introductions take it more slowly. Put Sulo back in his safe room with litter food water and some toys. Rub him down with one dry clean fluffy towel and Nanna with another then put the towel with sulos scent somewhere Nanna has access to it and the one with Nanna's scent in Sulo's safe room this way they are constantly in touch with the others scent. Try to distract Nanna from Sulo's room and make sure you spend a lot of time in Sulo's room to keep it equal a couple half hours a day with both of them. Leave at this for a few days and keep the scent towels topped up then start feeding them both at either side of the door. This way they will associate the others scent with the yummy good stuff. Keep that going for a few days and then try a face to face supervised play time get them together in a large room with lots of toys and sit on the floor and have a good old play. Make sure there's some hide spots so if they don't want to interact with each other they don't have to. Put Sulo back in his room then do the same the following day until Nanna becomes a little more accepting then give Sulo free run with Nanna but make sure the both have their safe spaces where they can go to be alone from one another.

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When we brought Maestro in, we had them totally separate for three weeks (necessary due to Maestro's illnesses and aggression issues when he was first rescued). We let them sniff under the door for another couple of weeks before we let them all out together. It was a bit easier since there were more of US to spread attention around so no cats felt lonely during this time, but I used to (and not necessarily saying you should, I was in high school at the time so had more energy and less demands on my time than an adult would) stay up until midnight and get up at  so I could make sure that Maestro had enough attention in his quarantine room without totally neglecting the other cats. 

Anyway, it took a few years for Snowball to fully accept Maestro, she tolerated him long before that but it was a couple years before we ever caught them snuggling or playing together.

Good luck with your kitties, I'm sure time will help them adjust to one another :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faded

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello again everyone, and thanks for your input.

The situation has changed a little, and I'm worried. Nanna is no longer aggressive, instead she has become very passive, even apathetic. The once affectionate, energetic and goofy kitty has stopped being all of that. I've tried giving her a lot of love and attention, but she does not seem to want it. In the past she slept next to me each night - now she's stopped doing that. Her personality has done a complete 180 turn, she seems unhappy. Medically there's nothing wrong with her.

Please tell me this is normal and will pass! I want nothing more than to have my lovable cat back. The sole reason I wanted a second cat was the prospect of making my resident cat happier. And I find myself dedicating even more time than I previously did, now having to give my time to two cats separately. It's not an ideal situation for the newcomer, either.

Any advice, please? :(

berbdcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, when I got my second cat Kiki, a female kitten, we introduced her the my other cat Berbol(grumpy, male, starting to get old) after a couple days. We had noticed that Berbol was not playing as much anymore and he seemed very bored. Thats why we got Kiki. For the first three months or so, Berbol was hissing swatting and being very grumpy towards Kiki. Then when he realised she would not be leaving, Berbol got quiet, thoughtful and even more grumpy, like your cat Nanna. I think matters changed dramatically when Kiki got neutered(Berbol is neutered). It took some time and patience, but with Kiki's friendlyness and energeticness Berbol and Kiki now play all the time, and Berbol is back to playing with cat toys :D    Kiki brought out Berbol's old self and I'm sure Your cats will be friendly towards each other soon, aswell

Good luck :p

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
If I am correct you have had your new cat for around 3 weeks.  This is not a long time in cat introduction terms as far as I can tell from other threads on this forum.  I very much hope that with continued input and care your two cats will find a way to be happy around each other.  This is a big change for Nanna but if she can learn that she is safe with this new arrival in her home her purrsonality should return and hopefully you will see her enjoying her new companion.  Give it time, and try to do things to relax for yourself as your anxieties will unsettle the cats too.

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MServant is right the more anxious you are for the two to get a long the more your anxiety will upset them! Try doing things that calm you read a book tackle some filing. 3 weeks if that is how long its been if no time at all. Nanna may have become less responsive because she is could be coming to terms with the fact that Sulo is here to stay give them time and space it will all work out ive heard of it taking a long time for cats to become cuddly close companions.