On a lighter note.... Possum helps himself

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Possum is now a big, "robust" (12-pound) kitten, almost 9 months old. We're trying not to overfeed him, since our vet is not happy about his big, flabby "lion paunch," but we have to give extra meals and snacks to our older cats.

So Possum will sit patiently next to the food bowl while the other cat eats.

Then he will gracefully pull the food bowl away from the cat with his paw, so he can eat! If my other cat keeps moving over to the bowl, Possum will give up and just stick his paw into the bowl, under the cat's nose, either spilling food on the floor so he can eat it, or he'll eat straight from his paw.

He also likes to lie alongside to a bowl of dry food, scooping up pawfuls like it's popcorn. Most of it spills on the floor, so he eats that. He stares into space like he's watching imaginary TV when he does this.

Are these routines of his common behavior? I've never seen anything like them, and I find them hilarious. I've heard that Maine Coons, in particular, are good at using their paws to get what they want. Possum was born feral, and, while he is a handsome, longhaired, New England cat, I doubt he has any "pure" blood.

Please let me know if you've seen this. What can I expect next? Will he learn to open cabinets and help himself to the dry food? Or learn how to microwave popcorn?

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he also hog the remote?

Yep, better padlock the fridge. Never know if he'll be helping himself to cold beers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes! He DOES tend to curl up on the remote! Hmm....

Here he is in popcorn mode:

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That pic is too cute!
Fluffy will get into my kitchen cabinets and push stuff out, seemingly trying to get whatever it is to open. That activity is usually reserved for about 2 am, causing me to sit straight up out of a dead sleep. I have gone in there, found her sitting on the floor among cans of soup, cat food, and fruit, looking oh so innocent. She is such a brat.