OMG! Purring!

badkelpie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had Winn since october before last.  She has always been a weird cat.  She hid from everything at first, then ventured out and would walk up to and around me and the dogs.  Once she got brave, she got MEAN!  She had to sleep in the bathroom because she was prone to random freak attacks.  She would let my pick her up, and would sometimes lay on me, but as soon as I tried to pet, she was gone.  Then one day I got the idea to make her "work" for her food, so she had to let me pet her before I'd feed her.  She began to enjoy this, and eventually we got to the head butt stage.  She stopped the attacks.  She would let me pet her now if she laid on me, and was very affectionate at mealtimes, but I knew it was mostly fake, there was never any purring.  So today, just a bit ago, she was on the bed with me, on her way to somewhere, and I stopped her and petted her.  She wanted to keep going, but I just kept petting and kinda blocking her exit (she was not trapped, she could have gotten away easily).  Then, as I am petting, I hear some low, quiet purring.  I thought it was Fin.  Finally, it got loud enough that I knew it was Winn.  When I stopped petting her, she followed my hand.  Then she stayed there, so I put her on my chest, where she remains.  She is laying across one of my arms as I type.  This is very uncomfortable, but I don't want to break the spell :).

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's funny how this sort of behavior change can happen very suddenly, isn't it?  Almost like a switch was thrown in the cat's brain...

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a great story.

Ritz was a rescue, my first cat (or any pet for that matter).  I didn't know how to interact with a cat, and she didn't know how to interact with a human.  We both learned.  After 18 months, she finally started purring.  Music to my ears.  All the more harmonious because I had to work at earning her trust, and purrs.

Now when I get home she wants a belly rub.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww!! It's like a reward we get for being patient and working hard and achieving some bonding. :D:heart3:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How sweet!!  What a wonderful breakthrough for you both!  Hopefully this is the first of many purrs and snuggles.