OMG...my little sister just got diagnosed with breast cancer

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Renae I am so sorry to hear about the news. You and your sister are in my thoughts and prayers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your kind words. I am amazed and saddened by how many members have lost a friend or family member to breast (or other) cancer. Like most other people, I always believed my family would be immune to this...denial is such a silly thing.

I will check out the web sites siggested, and I know I will be back to ask many questions of you who have gone through this with your loved one.

My sister is so young. She is only 41 years old! One son begins college in the Fall and the other will still be in High School. I can't imagine how awful it must be for them.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
41 is no age at all, bless her.

I always used to think cancer was something people in their 70s/80s got until my friend who i went to school with caught breast cancer at 33!.

It was then that i realised how precious life was. She refused treatment and sadly died, if only she hadn't she would still be here!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am really sorry to hear this, and I will keep you and your sister in my thoughts and prayers.

A little side note: one of the real estate agents' mother passed away last night. She had a colon cancer. She survived with it for a couple of years, but the last month it has been a rollercoaster for Judith (the daughter--the agent here).

Remember that you can help her by being there for her...many thoughts go to you and your family.

chelle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh no! im sorry to hear that...many thoughts and prayers for your sister

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Renae, I'm so sorry to hear this, and my thoughts are with your sister and the entire family. My grandmother died of breast cancer, and my husband's aunt is currently battling it. The whole family has a hard road ahead, but keep in mind that many woman do manage to overcome this disease.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Renae, I'm so sorry!!! Sending up a prayer for your sister and your whole family, and I'll keep her in my prayers!

Thank GOD both diagnosis and treatment have improved so dramatically over the past decade. I know we have far to go, but I know so many people that have had breast cancer and survived to live normal lives and in several instances have children. Those that I know were all in their 20s, 30s and 40s. Unfortunately my aunt wasn't so lucky, and she died before I even knew her. I've already done my baseline, and will get checked every year.

(((((Hugs)))))!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Renae - any updates? How's she doing? Is she under treatment yet? Did she/does she need surgery? How's the family holding up, and how are you doing?

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
Renae,
I am truly sorry for your news. My Mom died of breast cancer 3 years ago...HOWEVER SHE IGNORED THE LUMP UNTIL IT WAS TOO LATE. So she probably would have had a good chance...took a lot of therapy to get through that anger.
I do want to tell you an uplifting true story. Had a patient many years ago who was 104...for the most part with-it too. She had had BOTH breasts removed in her 50s!!! And here she was over 50 years later...in relatively good shape, with a keen sense of humor. When you think about it what did they know about breast cancer 50 years ago? I've never forgotten that woman and I use her as an example in my workshops today. Especially to the women who are scared to get a mammo or do self-exam. My thoughts for a excellent recovery for your sister.
There is an excellent first person account by Betty Rollins "First You Cry". It's been around forever, but it might help. Not sure if its' still in print,if not check a used book store,
or Strandbooks.com or AbeBooks.com.

Fingers crossed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for asking about my sister.

She had a lymph node biopsy on Friday of last week. She will hear the results of that biopsy tomorrow. If the lymph nodes are clear then she will not need radiation or chemo, so this is what we are hoping for.

Sadly, she will have a double mastectomy. The explanation is lengthy, so suffice it to say this is a big deal.

A student just came in, so I have to stop writing. I have more curous information I'll write about in a while.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best wishes for your sister's lymph node biopsy to come back clean, and for a full recovery.

I'll post an update on my mom as a seperate thread,

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're sister is going through this. My thoughts are with her and I hope everything turns out well for her. I've heard many times that they will do a full mastectomy now just to be sure there's no chance of more cancer growth. So try to think good thoughts (I know that's easier said then done).