Ollie, the forest cat?

ganesha0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

No, Chicken and Button both have long tails with a slight kink in the end. Their other sisters have bob-tails or funny little corkscrew tails. On the long haired cats the bob-tail looks like a little pom-pom.

It's good to know that you´re taking care of them

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is SOME coat!  I'm not sure what the genetics are -- probably a wonderful mixture, which usually results in a healthier cat.  Revel in the beauty and the love! 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! Chicken is beautiful!!
Lol, you must tell how she got that name.
Was she a "scary cat?". [emoji]128516[/emoji]

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow! Chicken is beautiful!!
Lol, you must tell how she got that name.
Was she a "scary cat?". [emoji]128516[/emoji]
No she's totally fearless. Not scared of anything at all!

When I first took in Chicken and her 3 litter mates we called her Pixie. At that time I had an elderly rescued cat that was FIV+ and had lost all of his teeth. It was a struggle to get him to eat  so I used to cook chicken breast every day and cut it up into tiny pieces for him.

Pixie would never come when you called her name, but as soon as she smelled the chicken cooking she'd be there. I used to cook an extra piece for her. At first I used to call "Pixie, chicken." but then it changed to just "Chicken". Somehow it stuck. She never looked much like a Pixie anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mkendrick3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not a Geneticist, and I'm not a breed standard,expert, so this is pure speculation, Nevertheless, I'll be very glad to help you out..This cat is very good looking, and it seems pretty well suited to the taiga climate, I don't think this is a domestic long hair. Period.

I love the Maine Coons, Wegies and Siberians, Never had the privilege to meet one, but I´ve seen thoushand pictures, I've read a ot abou them, and I have a good grasp of their appearence. This cat doesn´t look like a Maine Coon.

This is a very interesting case

The muzzle is longish, more similar to the Wegies´s. However, the eyes are not almond shaped. They´re oval shaped. more similar to the Siberian.s. Both breeds have tufted ears, but your cat´s ears are smaller and rounder in the tips, more similar to the Siberian's.

However, your cat is not as stocky and as heavy boned as the Siberian. Its Body is slendersih,, more similar to the Wegie's.

I think I need more info about his temperament; Is he active?. Vocal?. Very affectionate?. Prone to jump great heigts and to perform dizzyng acrobatics, both indoors and outodrs?. If so, he might have a Siberian ancestor..

Is he on the quieter. lazier side when he's indoors?. Is he a bit more reserved?. Does he come alive in outdorrs and show great athetic conditions?. If so, he might have a Wegie ancestor.

Regardles of genetics, I think your cat rules. You´re lucky to live with such a magnificent feline.
I'm not a Geneticist, and I'm not a breed standard,expert, so this is pure speculation, Nevertheless, I'll be very glad to help you out..This cat is very good looking, and it seems pretty well suited to the taiga climate, I don't think this is a domestic long hair. Period.

I love the Maine Coons, Wegies and Siberians, Never had the privilege to meet one, but I´ve seen thoushand pictures, I've read a ot abou them, and I have a good grasp of their appearence. This cat doesn´t look like a Maine Coon.

This is a very interesting case

The muzzle is longish, more similar to the Wegies´s. However, the eyes are not almond shaped. They´re oval shaped. more similar to the Siberian.s. Both breeds have tufted ears, but your cat´s ears are smaller and rounder in the tips, more similar to the Siberian's.

However, your cat is not as stocky and as heavy boned as the Siberian. Its Body is slendersih,, more similar to the Wegie's.

I think I need more info about his temperament; Is he active?. Vocal?. Very affectionate?. Prone to jump great heigts and to perform dizzyng acrobatics, both indoors and outodrs?. If so, he might have a Siberian ancestor..

Is he on the quieter. lazier side when he's indoors?. Is he a bit more reserved?. Does he come alive in outdorrs and show great athetic conditions?. If so, he might have a Wegie ancestor.

Regardles of genetics, I think your cat rules. You´re lucky to live with such a magnificent feline.
Wow! I was so excited to return to this post and see so many replies! And so many pictures of kitties that look like my Ollie.

To answer your questions, yes he is very active and vocal. In fact right now he is mrowwwing loudly out of the window. He follows me around the house and talks to me nonstop, and he loves to play. He is not allowed outside (although he desperately wants to be all the time), but I take him on walks and he loves to dig and roll in the dirt.

He really likes people and is affectionate in a way, but he can also be pretty feisty. When my bf and I get home from work, there are about 10 minutes where he loves and cuddles, then he is over it and wants to play.

He is also not very patient and will bite if you annoy him. My mother (who watches him when I am out of town) says he is very wild and thinks he is mixed with a bobcat LOL. But he is not feral, as he loves people, just very strong willed. In fact my vet often jokes he could probably take on a coyote (my neighborhood is filled with coyotes, which is why he is not allowed outside).

Thanks again for your help!

ganesha0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! I was so excited to return to this post and see so many replies! And so many pictures of kitties that look like my Ollie.

To answer your questions, yes he is very active and vocal. In fact right now he is mrowwwing loudly out of the window. He follows me around the house and talks to me nonstop, and he loves to play. He is not allowed outside (although he desperately wants to be all the time), but I take him on walks and he loves to dig and roll in the dirt.

He really likes people and is affectionate in a way, but he can also be pretty feisty. When my bf and I get home from work, there are about 10 minutes where he loves and cuddles, then he is over it and wants to play.

He is also not very patient and will bite if you annoy him. My mother (who watches him when I am out of town) says he is very wild and thinks he is mixed with a bobcat LOL. But he is not feral, as he loves people, just very strong willed. In fact my vet often jokes he could probably take on a coyote (my neighborhood is filled with coyotes, which is why he is not allowed outside).

Thanks again for your help!
You're wlcome. Now that I took a closer  look.at the photographs,.he looks "Wegie ish".. Siberians have a completely different look. Wegies can be trained., but his vocal and feisty temperament comes from somebody else. No, he has no Maine Coon blood  (they thend to be easygoing and a friend of mine who owned a male one told me that his cat wouldn't bite or claw, It would just extend his claws, to warn you that he had enogh).

purrmeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am guessing you have a beautiful Maine Coon mix.  What a beautiful cat you have.

Judging by his size and face shape, I would also think Maine Coon over the forest cats - although it's likely that Maine Coons and forest cats are related genetically, at least somewhat.

I'm not a breed expert but look for long tufts coming out under the foot pads.  Also, I have had regular long hair cats and a Maine Coon mix and the hair feels totally different. It's hard to tell from the photos but your cat seems to have the sleek hair made for snow rather than the Persian cottony type.  Non Maine/Forest long haired cats (typically mix between persian and american) tend to have fuzzy hair like cotton balls stretched out in strands (that's what it reminds me of anyhow); Maine Coons and forest cats tend to have sleek silky fur more like a rabbit.  Maine Coons should have 3 types of hair, making them look more shaggy in some areas;  this type of hair helps water proof them a bit from the snow and keep cold wet fur away from the body;  the long "beard" as I call it under the neck is very Maine Coon-y.

purrmeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your cat has to have at least some Norwegian genes!  Very pretty and love the name.  

The profile photo you show of your cat is pretty much text book Norwegian Forest Cat.  It's like the bridge of the nose is not so concave as with Maine Coons and Siberians.  

I think the starter of this thread has a Maine Coon and you have a Norwegian.  

The starter of this thread's cat could be the dad of my Maine Coon mix!  They look so similar.  I had to figure out what my cat was also as I adopted from a farm where the owners just took in wild ones out of pity.  They couldn't keep them all obviously, so lucky me.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am guessing you have a beautiful Maine Coon mix.  What a beautiful cat you have.
Judging by his size and face shape, I would also think Maine Coon over the forest cats - although it's likely that Maine Coons and forest cats are related genetically, at least somewhat.

I'm not a breed expert but look for long tufts coming out under the foot pads.  Also, I have had regular long hair cats and a Maine Coon mix and the hair feels totally different. It's hard to tell from the photos but your cat seems to have the sleek hair made for snow rather than the Persian cottony type.  Non Maine/Forest long haired cats (typically mix between persian and american) tend to have fuzzy hair like cotton balls stretched out in strands (that's what it reminds me of anyhow); Maine Coons and forest cats tend to have sleek silky fur more like a rabbit.  Maine Coons should have 3 types of hair, making them look more shaggy in some areas;  this type of hair helps water proof them a bit from the snow and keep cold wet fur away from the body;  the long "beard" as I call it under the neck is very Maine Coon-y.
P purrmeow

I agree, but I would also like to point out that bicolor Mainecoons and Norwegians tend to have the cottony soft fur over the thicker, layered fur (though these cats would be unsuitable for breeding and showing). I can't remember where I read that but I will try to find the link and post it here.

Your cat has to have at least some Norwegian genes!  Very pretty and love the name.  
The profile photo you show of your cat is pretty much text book Norwegian Forest Cat.  It's like the bridge of the nose is not so concave as with Maine Coons and Siberians.  

I think the starter of this thread has a Maine Coon and you have a Norwegian.  

The starter of this thread's cat could be the dad of my Maine Coon mix!  They look so similar.  I had to figure out what my cat was also as I adopted from a farm where the owners just took in wild ones out of pity.  They couldn't keep them all obviously, so lucky me.
I think you were talking to me in this post? But I agree, though he is by no means a purebred, I think he has at least some of the genes/traits that are found in Norwegian Forest Cats.

Though he is technically "just" a domestic long haired cat. He is my beautiful boy and I wouldn't trade him for anything :)

He also has SUUUUUPER cottony soft fur. My mom calls him cotton ball sometimes because that is what he feels like when you pet him. His fur is also curly. Its all curly, but the white hairs are easier to see.