Older Kitten Trying To Nurse

sabbyjake

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats has 1 kitten that is 6 months and 1 that is 1 month, the 6 month old recently started trying to nurse from mom again, (mom gets up and leaves after about a minute) she hasn't shown she wanted to nurse before...could she be jealous that baby sister gets to?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I think at six months it is still a kitten and simply still has that urge to nurse. It is pretty normal behavior on both the part of the older kitten and the mom.

I have to say, I hope this is the last batch of kittens for your mom cat. Multiple pregnancies in short order is very hard on them. She could be going into heat again within the next few weeks, so as soon as she weans these kittens you want to get her in for her spay.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Is this the same female cat that you allowed to have multiple litters S sabbyjake ?

It's really not good for her, she increases her risk of pyometra with every pregnancy. She could quite easily die from this.

How To Save Your Cat From These 16 Life-threatening Pregnancy Risks

You must have so many kittens in your house by now. Judging by the photos you've posted it's getting quite difficult for you to keep the house clean and sanitary. This isn't good for the cats and it can't be very comfortable for you to live like that either.

Don't you want some help? We can help you find cheap or free spay and neuter clinics. I think I've sent you some links before.

Maybe you could get some support here too?

Adult protection / Minnesota Department of Human Services

Please get the cats fixed soon. The 6 month old kittens will be in heat and having kittens soon. It's very irresponsible to just let your pets have litter after litter of kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabbyjake

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No it is not the same cat, I find homes for the kittens, right now we have 5 and 3 litter boxes that get scooped daily and cleaned weekly, the cats are fed and healthy.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
No it is not the same cat, I find homes for the kittens, right now we have 5
You have five kittens right now? How many adult cats do you have?

Even if you are finding homes for the kittens it is really worrying that this female cat has a one month old kitten and a six month old kitten. Having two litters within five months is hard on a mother cat.

What happened to the rest of the litter she had one month ago? Did any of the other kittens survive?

sabbyjake

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She had 2 last month, 1 didn't make it, the cats I have are Lexi (6 years), her daughter Elu (18 months), our rescue Siva (15 months) and her kittens River (6 months) and Kovu (1 month)

sabbyjake

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not yet, I looked up the SNAP spay thing, the places they are at are an hour away or more and I dont drive so I'm gonna have to save up to get it done at the vets.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
All the cats and kittens you have now are female, is that right?

Do you keep them indoors? Please don't let them roam around the neighbourhood and get pregnant by feral tom cats. As you haven't got any of your cats fixed you probably haven't bothered to get them blood tested or vaccinated either.

I'm really concerned about all the kittens born in your house over the last few years that you say you have re-homed. It's difficult to find suitable homes for kittens. You're passing on un-fixed, un-vaccinated kittens to people who may continue to neglect them, letting them get sick or pregnant and then tossing them out when they're no longer wanted.

There are over 50 million feral cats in the US. 1.5 million unwanted pets are euthanized every year in the US.

It's because of people who neglect their pets and allow them to have litter after litter that so many animals suffer and die.