Older kitten plays quite rough with younger kitten

shesgonestella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two ragdoll kittens - one 5 months, and the other 3 months. I’ve only had the younger one for about a week and a half.
after a bit of initial hissing, they are now ok together and will happily eat out of the same bowl and relax in each others company. Being a ragdoll, the older kitten is pretty big, but still very playful. She doesn’t play with claws when they chase or wrestle (and they both initiate the games) but she can pin the little baby down and she squeals while it’s happening. She never seems to be physically hurt, but I’m worried it will be very stressful for her if it keeps happening when they play. Is this normal?
(Photo of cuties attached just because)

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They're both gorgeous :)

Feed them quite a bit until they're older than a year, to support all the growth that's occurring.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know what a "head noogie" is? Its when one human child, usually a boy, because boys, takes their knuckle and rubs it into usually their younger brother's head. Younger brother calls for mom. Because its uncomfortable! But no more than that, no injury is done. Younger brother still wants to play more in a few minutes. Same sort of thing when you have a bigger and smaller kitten and the smaller kitten squeals. Its not ideal, but its totally normal. And the fact that the smaller kitten comes right back for more in a couple of minutes tells you that all is well and they are getting a net benefit from having a sibling -- even if its a bit much at times.