Older Kitten Is Vocal About New Kitten?

applemommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good Morning!

I have 2 kittens, one is 10 months old and the other is 12 weeks old. I have had the new kitten for almost 2 weeks now and have slowly introduced them to eachother. The older cat is constantly following the new kitten around the house and cornering him. He doesn't try to bite but they both try to swat (not even aggressively swat, more like just putting their paws on eachother) When he isn't cornering or chasing him he will hover around the area being extremely vocal. The kitten isn't scared of him he will play in the area while my older cat watches him and when I pick the kitten up he will try to run to my older cat. I'm sure this is all normal but please let me know if it isn't as I've only ever had 1 cat at a time. I was wondering what the meowing by the older kitten means though? He only ever meows when he wants a treat or to go out on the patio so its strange hes being extremely vocal when hes around the new kitten.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Things are really going very well for these babies! You don't have a thing to worry about that I can see. Now, be aware that at some point their play might look (and sound) very like fighting, but if no one is bleeding, it isn't! As for the vocalizing...kittens and cats vocalize to their mamas (and us), and to a lesser degree to their litter mates. He's just talking to his new brother.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like everything is going well to me. Can I suggest you try watching a bit of Kitten Academy (Live Stream)? This is a live stream by a foster couple. At the moment they are fostering two liters of kittens at different stages and it might give you a bit of a better idea of what is “normal” for kittens playing and vocalizing to each other.

I have read the cats will meow or call out to each other when they are looking for a playmate for what it’s worth. I’ve had two and even three cats at once in the past, but never while more then one was a kitten so I’m afraid I can’t give more advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

applemommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys so much for your input/links/advice! I am still separating them while I am unable to supervise them, like when I am at work or when I am sleeping but they do get a few hours of "play-time" each day to get to know each other. I'm just waiting for the baby kitten to grow a bit (he is so small he can fit into a wine glass/coffee mug). My 10mo cat is so big he looks like a cow compared to the little guy! So I know if he starts getting rowdy and I'm not there to break it up he can do some real damage to the baby. I'm hoping I'll be able to leave them alone together soon I imagine it gets quite boring for them at times having to be separated :dunno:

applemommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Taking a picture of them semi-close to each other was so difficult! They're constantly on the move I swear if one is up on the counter the other rascal will be hiding under a blanket. P.S. My older cat isn't morbidly obese thats just his big fluffy coat :lol:

applemommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys! So little update.. I've been letting them be together for large chunks of time now. The only concerning thing is on multiple occasions i've caught my bigger cat laying on my younger cat and biting him. Just yesterday I caught him laying down "hugging" the baby kitten and biting his arm like its a chicken wing! The poor kitten yelped and I ran in and my older cat jumped up and I took him out of the room. Today they've been ok just constantly chasing each other.. I'm afraid to let the kitten out of the room while I'm away but I know it must get so lonely and boring being alone in the room all day. I'm just afraid my older kitten will have such a strong grip on him and bite so hard that it will hurt him badly :( Any new thoughts?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwww they are so cute! :) It almost makes me want to invest in the upkeep of a long haired cat :)

Do you mean nipping or biting? I think your older kitten is playing to rough but just playing. No blood no fluff ... then it is probably rough play. They will learn boundaries from each other over time.

applemommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I cant tell if its nipping or biting because they both have such long fluffy hair I cant see what the older kitten is actually doing. All I can see is it looks like they're cuddling but its just my bigger cat wrapping his arms around the younger cat and the younger cat shrieking as my older cat is biting/nipping? Its so strange as he will stop doing it as soon as he sees me. Its really stressing me out because I don't want the little kitty to be in pain :(

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is still a big size difference between them. If I was guessing I would say it it is rough play and your wee kitten is protest shrieking. *shrugs* I would do supervised play and have them separate when you are not around. When you see the older one hunting the little one can you distract him with toys? Some of it has to be worked out between them unforgettably. Believe me 10 years later I wish I had let my older cat beat up the new kitten a bit :rolleyes: The kitten turned into a bully and my older cat wakes me up with his loud growling.... because I freak out when I hear growling. If there is no blood, fur flying or cat fighting sounds ... I would let it play out.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If there is no blood, fur flying or cat fighting sounds ... I would let it play out.
That's usually my advice. Just keep an eye on things a bit until their sizes are more equal. But if the little one isn't bleeding, it's play. He may scream like a be'ansidhe, but have you ever heard two little boys tussling on a playground? Sounds like murder, but isn't. So long as the big boy isn't drawing blood, and you would know that, they're doing fine. Far, far better than your nerves are doing, right now.