Older cat's behavior after introducing a new kitten in the house?

fitzleigh1985

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I'm going through something that is all new to me: I brought a new kitten into the house about a month ago and introduced her to my 9 year old and my 6 year old cats. The 9 year old has become quite tolerant of her, unless she trying to play too rough, at which point she gives her a "warning shot".
It's my 6 year old that I'm worried about. He has reverted to whiney, morose behavior. Hisses at her if she so much as enters his enormous space bubble. Won't tolerate her attempts at play (when he is normally fairly playful himself). He seems just kind of blue now though I hold him and shower him with kisses and tell him how much I love him. It's beginning to make me a little sad.

IS THIS GOING TO GET BETTER???

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do not like change and it takes time to adjust.  Especially if they're older and it's just been them two for awhile.  Though it is generally thought kittens are more easily accepted into the fold, it is also true that a kittens energy can annoy an older kitty who is not used to a toddler in the house.  1 month, especially with older cats, is not that much time.  It is not unusual for it to take 3 or even 6 months.  Just keep interactions short and monitored between the two.  Make sure your older kitty has a place all his own to get away from the little one.  It is good you are giving him reassurance but do not get on to him for standing his ground when dealing with the kitten. This will make him feel as if you have sided with the kitten.  The dynamic in the house has changed and he has to adjust and it will take time.

You can try positive reinforcement.  Hold him on your lap or by you and have the kitten play near you.  As long as he doesn't growl or spit or swat, praise him for being good.  Tell him "Good boy" and give him a treat.  Gradually work up to giving him a treat for positive reactions to kitten, meaning as long as he doesn't act aggressive, praise and treats.  If he does react negative, say nothing, don't "shame" him just separate the two and try again later.