Older Cats And Younger Cats

Dave94h

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My roommate and I have these two cats , pumpkin who is 4 years old, and Dexter who is only 4 months old . Before we got dexter pumpkin used to be out quite a bit , after we brought dexter home though is when things changed . We got dexter when he was only 2 months and he would chase and harass pumpkin.. we’ve tried time outs and spray bottles ( which I have fixed feelings about , some say don’t use the spray bottle, some say it’s fine ) . However sadly pumkin now hides under our couch and barely comes out :bawling:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - and welcome!! Keeping in mind that it will take some time and patience, try reading these articles, they aren't long and are informative. (There might be a couple of duplicate ones of the embedded links to other articles).

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)
The Multi-cat Household
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

Also you could try calming products; there are collars, diffusers, wipes, treats...
Some cats such as my Big Guy are completely unaffected by Feliway, but there are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryphophan and casein.

there is Zylkene, Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo.

There are a couple of recent discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry Pumpkin is not adapting well to Dexter's arrival.

Pumpkin is probably annoyed that this new kitten has invaded his home, and keeps bothering him. Dexter is still really young, and has loads of energy and playfulness. Not that you want to rush his kittenhood, but in time he'll calm down and hopefully be a good companion for Pumpkin.

Meanwhile, would it be possible to separate them into 2 different rooms for a while, and redo their introductions?

Here's a link with more info.
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
BTW, TCS is on the "don't spray water" side of the discipline debate. :petcat:
5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat
Cats And Discipline Don't Mix

giorgia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi - and welcome!! Keeping in mind that it will take some time and patience, try reading these articles, they aren't long and are informative. (There might be a couple of duplicate ones of the embedded links to other articles).

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)
The Multi-cat Household
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

Also you could try calming products; there are collars, diffusers, wipes, treats...
Some cats such as my Big Guy are completely unaffected by Feliway, but there are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryphophan and casein.

there is Zylkene, Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo.

There are a couple of recent discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?
Thank you!! Many good ideas in there!!!