Older Cats And Their Teeth

PghBellacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Neville is over 11 years old. He came from a shelter where he was a stray. I do not know how old he is but he is starting to lose his teeth. Has anyone ever dealt with this?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor dental health results in loss of teeth and painful resorptive lesions, among other things. This can happen to all cats regardless of diet and age and history. A vet will be able to determine the extent of the dental issues your cat has and most likely a dental procedure will need to be done to remove bad teeth and clean up the remaining teeth. Dental issues can make eating very difficult.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh ouch. I wonder if it's issues related to FORLS, where the tooth just degrades below the gum line. Definitely want to work out and plan with your vet as it can be painful and want to make sure there is no infection that needs treatment as well.
We've removed about 5 teeth with Amalie since she moved in around age 6. She has FORLs. My other cats are getting their first teeth cleaning at age 8 this summer, but Amalie gets done every 2 years to reevaluate her mouth.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Hannah is now 12 and last year, we had to have 3 of her teeth pulled due to resorptive lesions. She was in a lot of pain and wasn't eating well. Had the teeth pulled and after she recovered, she's been eating like a champ and is just happier overall. The vet did a dental at the same time and when she went for her annual visit a few months ago, the vet said her teeth still look great.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Hannah is now 12 and last year, we had to have 3 of her teeth pulled due to resorptive lesions. She was in a lot of pain and wasn't eating well. Had the teeth pulled and after she recovered, she's been eating like a champ and is just happier overall. The vet did a dental at the same time and when she went for her annual visit a few months ago, the vet said her teeth still look great.

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Oscar, who is almost 16 (or more. not sure on the age as he's a rescue) had the remaining of his teeth removed in April. We had taken out about half of his teeth a couple of years ago, but unfortunately, his teeth kept degrading and causing him so much pain. We found out that he had some infection (gross puss) under each remaining teeth. It was a scary thing, putting my 15 year old cat under anaesthesia, but it REALLY paid off. He's able to eat without being in any pain, he's actually washing himself again, which is something he had stopped doing due to the pain. I do have to say that it was a tough recovery because we also removed a calcium oxalate stone, so it worried us as well because it was taking him more time to heal than usual. My other cat, Banjo, has resorptive lesions and needed a few teeth removed last year. He'll probably need the rest of his teeth removed eventually.
I'd strongly suggest taking an appointment with your vet and see what's the best plan of action for your cat! :)

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 14 year old just had dental for the first time almost a month ago. He needed 3 teeth pulled because of resorption. Def get your kitty to the vet to be evaluated for dental.