Older Cat Won't Accept New Kitten

sstadnek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This Saturday we adopted a new 3 month old kitten (mister) from the shelter and our current cat that is 1 years old (bobby) doesn't seem to be taking to the kitten.

When we first introduced them we kept mister in the kennel to let them smell each other for 5 minutes and neither hissed and both seemed somewhat eager to interact with each other.

In the beginning it was all good until bobby the older cat would get really close to mister the kitten and the kitten would hiss and swat at bobby and bobby would run away.

At first we thought that the problem was mister bullying bobby and that bobby was afraid of the kitten. But no we are thinking that bobby is the one that is being aggressive and making the kitten feel scared.

Bobby never has hissed or growled at mister, but he will stalk mister every where he goes around the house and jumps onto his back and starts biting his neck until mister is crying for help super loud with some really loud meows which sound like he is in pain.

We have separate rooms for them with litter boxes in each room, separate food dishes and 3 different huge cat towers in 3 separate rooms in the house with plenty of toys for both of them.

Our question is basically what is our old cat bobby trying to do to our new kitten when he his attacking him, but not hissing or growling?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sstadnek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Furballsmom,

Thank you so much for the answer and directing me to that article, I read the whole thing!

Once the kitten mister eventually gets a bit bigger (he is 3 months and 3 weeks old) will bobby the bigger cat just keep on going after him like that? or will he start calming down as the kitten grows in size?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really sounds pretty normal to me. Remember there is nothing wrong with hissing and growling as that is how they communicate and will learn each others boundaries. It sounds like there are some dominance issues going on, which again, needs to happen. Is Bobby neutered? If not before you go any farther that needs to happen. Both of them should be, for that matter. Just utilize the separate rooms more and keep them apart when you aren't there. Just since the kitten is rather young, you would hate for Bobby to accidentally bite too hard. I don't think there is any nasty aggression going on here but simply the fact that you have an adult cat vs a kitten you want to be a bit more cautious.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also it could take day to weeks to months to never for them to live together without an occasional hiss or growl. With 2 boys they are going to go hard with their playing eventually. But just let them take their time and supervise at first is all.

sstadnek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Jen,

Thank you so much for your reply!

They are both neutered (Mister was neutered at the shelter just on Friday and the day we discovered him at the shelter was Saturday) we also have a separate room for mister with all his own things that he is currently staying in when we arent there to supervise.

I am just concerned about how bobby will chase him and follow him everywhere and will eventually attack mister and jump onto his back and bite his neck super hard to the point mister lets out some pretty loud scary screeches of pain, but as far as what your telling me this is quite normal behavior?

Thanks so much you guys! :)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it is BUT since there is such a size difference in the cats you might want to be on alert and keep eye on them when this happens to make sure the bigger cat isn't breaking skin. I don't think it would be intentional, he is just trying to make it clear he is in charge. Eventually the little guy will "fight" back and perhaps challenge him a bit, or they will just become BFFs and roughhouse all day long. It is that in between stage you just want to keep an eye on them. Like kids ;)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is 100% normal for a one year old to play roughly enough with the kitten to make it squeal a little. This is the equivalent of a big brother giving a little brother an indian sunburn. Little brother might call for mom, but he isn't actually hurt. Since it has only been three days, the kitten isn't sure yet. Sometimes it takes kittens a week to settle in and get used to everything. Kittens are super adaptable, but up to a week is very normal.

Prediction: soon the kitten will only flee briefly when the big cat is overdoing it a bit, and the kitten will come right back for more within a few minutes. At that point, the kitten's behavior will be your guide that he isn't being hurt. You just aren't quite there yet though, it has only been three days.

Adult cats dont hurt kittens = biological hard wiring. It is, however, totally normal for first timers to get worried because it looks too rough! As long as the kitten is at least three months, its fine to let them be. However, it would be totally fine to show us a video if you are still concerned about what you are seeing. I've only once seen a video that caused me concern, and in that one the kitten was like 6-8 weeks -- just too small for such roughness, but certainly there are exceptions to every "rule".

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You've gotten some great advice :)
My thinking is that when their sizes are more equal, the kitten will be better able to defend himself as necessary. For now, you might need to step in if things appear to be getting too rough :thumbsup:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be sure there are places he can run and jump to get away. If Maggie chases one of my cats and they jump up high, Maggie doesn't pursue. So being in a cage he cannot get away. If I leave a carrier out with the door open, Peaches will go in and Maggie will try to play with her by playfully swatting which Peaches does not like

sstadnek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Guys,
Thank you so much for all the helpful advice, it has made me and my girl friend feel much more comfortable with the situation. :)

I attached a video of them having a tussle to this comment so you can see their behavior.

sstadnek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is also another video
It's strange because he will lick him a whole bunch and then just start biting him? haha

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lick, lick, bite is a playful cat thing. Why I couldn't tell you, but I know it is. I liked that the little cat didn't go far in the first video. The squealing is maybe a tad shriller than we usually hear, and I'm sure hard to listen too. But overall, this does seem to fall into the typical mold of big brother giving little brother head nugees, indian sunburns, wedgies or whatever else they do these days. It is quite clear that the big cat doesn't have true hostile intent.

If little cat seems constantly scared of and runs at the mere sight of big cat always, even outside of this kind of play, that is a different matter. That will happen if little cat is genuinely being hurt. But this looks more like the typical scenario to me.

This scenario means its reasonably likely they will be friends before too long. Kittens are so adaptable that its always better for the kitten to be unsure than the big cat to have issues.

If you feel the need to interrupt this kind of play, do it gently, through distraction, so you don't interfere with the desire to play. But I don't think you will teach the big cat to play gently, so its really just to give your little one a break if it appears unusually unenjoyable and prolonged.

Last edited:

sstadnek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice!

Ya we use a feather wand to distract them to get them off of each other. We have also been using a small towel and just simply placing it on one of them when bobby is getting to rough and it totally throws them off haha

Is it bad if bobby (our older cat) constantly does this the entire time that our kitten is out? Like he is relentless haha

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it bad if bobby (our older cat) constantly does this the entire time that our kitten is out? Like he is relentless haha
Well, it makes it harder for the kitten to feel comfortable, but it will get better. Right now you kind of have a Christmas morning effect. The kitten is the new toy, and because he hides a lot, the big cat still gets really excited to have a chance to play. Give it a few more days, your still at a week or so. Bit changes coming I promise.

sstadnek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello there! Our bobby is still giving mister a rough time, but it seems like mister is starting to whine less when bobby trys to bite him and bobbies attacks are happening a little bit less. Here is a video of them on the bed and it looks like mister is pretty content with the grooming haha

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awe! I take it the motor boat purr is Bobby! He really likes the kitten and doesn't only regard him as a toy. So nice. Told ya it would be fine. That said, its totally normal to be worried by a one year old playing a bit rough with a kitten if you have never seen it before. Almost all first timers are really concerned by it! Glad to help, and glad you have two buds in the making.

sunflower7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This Saturday we adopted a new 3 month old kitten (mister) from the shelter and our current cat that is 1 years old (bobby) doesn't seem to be taking to the kitten.

When we first introduced them we kept mister in the kennel to let them smell each other for 5 minutes and neither hissed and both seemed somewhat eager to interact with each other.

In the beginning it was all good until bobby the older cat would get really close to mister the kitten and the kitten would hiss and swat at bobby and bobby would run away.

At first we thought that the problem was mister bullying bobby and that bobby was afraid of the kitten. But no we are thinking that bobby is the one that is being aggressive and making the kitten feel scared.

Bobby never has hissed or growled at mister, but he will stalk mister every where he goes around the house and jumps onto his back and starts biting his neck until mister is crying for help super loud with some really loud meows which sound like he is in pain.

We have separate rooms for them with litter boxes in each room, separate food dishes and 3 different huge cat towers in 3 separate rooms in the house with plenty of toys for both of them.

Our question is basically what is our old cat bobby trying to do to our new kitten when he his attacking him, but not hissing or growling?
all I can say is it can take a while. Took my 2 cats over a month to adjust when we got our kitten. Kept separated at first, then little bits of supervised time together. Years later, they all cuddle up and guess who rules the roost around here? ;-)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I did also feed my cats wellness core chicken Turkey and Turkey liver and wellness core Turkey duck but decided it was too expensive. Earth born and fussie cat look good except that it is so low in fat. I try to avoid any fish so it is hard to find a good food

sstadnek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A ArtNJ The purring is actually coming from Mister (kitten) bobby (bigger cat) doesnt purr at all unless the kitty is in his room and he can cuddle us one on one haha.