Older Cat With New Seizures

RavenHawke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an older cat, almost 15, starting having seizures every 3 to 4 days. They started almost a year ago. First it was one. Then about 5 months later he had another one. So we took him to the vet, he didnt say much. Then after the vet he had a couple more. Then nothing for 3 or 4 months. Now its every 3 or 4 days.
He was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, but the only reason the vet caught it is because I did bloodwork for the seizures. Hes 18lbs, and otherwise in perfect health. Hes not sickly at all except for the seizures. I talked to 2 vets and they both said the seizures have nothing to do with the thyroid. Is that true? They said possibly cancer? Is it worth it to give him meds for the thyroid and make him miserable if he has cancer? I need advice. I cant find anything on the internet. Thank you for reading this. I'm so desperate

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont have any answers for you, just wanted to say i am sorry he is going through this. and you as well. Hopefully someone else will have better information for you. I will keep you guys in my thoughts!

Please keep us updated on how he is doing!

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think you need to get to the bottom of why your cat is having seizures. I think the seizures are a separate issue. I would continue to treat for the hyperthyroidism and meanwhile take your cat to a Vet Neurologist who is the best qualified to diagnose/treat the seizures.

It may be due to vestibular syndrome, a tumor, an inner ear issue or something else. A CAT scan or an MRI may be needed to look at the brain to determine cause.

I had a cat who started having seizures. When local vet could not diagnose, I took the cat to a Vet Neurologist who did a CAT scan. The problem was a bad infection deep in the inner ear near the brain. Cat had an operation to drain the infection and clean it out. Cat recovered quickly and no more seizures.

I would not panic and think cancer right now, but I would see a Vet Neurologist as soon as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RavenHawke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank both of you for your replies. I havent started his hyperthyroidism treatment cause of he has a brain tumor or something, I'm not putting him through all that. I just lost a cat to ckd and it was horrible. I put her through so much hell for nothing.
I cant afford anything right now. I have no job and can barely afford to buy them food at the moment. If I had money I would get a CT scan. Both vets think its cancer because hes old and has a sudden onset of seizures.
I'm just lost cause I cant do anything. The bloodwork broke me. So that's it. I'm out of options as far as helping him.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have the Thyroid medications i would give them to him, unless the vet says no. Check with your vet about this, but i think even if he has cancer the thyroid meds might make him feel better for a bit? I not an expert on this, but i think controlling the hyperthyroidism might help?

I am so sorry he is going through this. Love him, feed him and try to keep him as happy and comfortable as possible. Sending you buys my best wishes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RavenHawke

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The meds will make him sick. Plus the stress of 2 times a day will upset him. I cant even give him antibiotics without a fight.
Plus the routine check ups and bloodwork, it's a lot of money (I have none) and a lot of stress on him. I'm still getting over the last bloodwork. He was shaking and was so scared. I'm not doing that every 3 weeks.
I wish there was something else I could do but I just cant